Harmonised colours

Sponsored Links
With all this talk of "NEW COLOURS" does anyone remember that back in the mists of time the colours were Brown, Blue and green? So logically we have got OLD COLOURS. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Yes, WingCoax, now you mention it I recall seeing these colours on an old toaster my aunt had. It was a rubber sheathed cotton-covered cable like you would find on flat-irons today. Someone (can't remember who) was replacing the plug, a BS646 15A IIRC and, of course, I stuck my nose in to see what was going on! I suppose I was about 6 or 7 at the time, so that would make it the late 1950s/early 60s.

You've got the right era. those were the days you did a six or seven year apprenticeship and learnt a lot.

Thanks everybody for your input.

My take is this.

OK appliance flexes needed harmonising but fixed installations I doubt it.

Brown black black giving one colour two possible phases was a no no so at least grey improved upon that.

I still think RYB was far superior to brown black grey being three nice vibrant primary colours for phase.

Colour perfect or colour blind vision I have yet to meet anyone who thinks that the old colours were not more easily distinguishable in most circumstances.

If we really did need to harmonise on this one then wee should have all gone for the best not the worst - OK they did not want to give one member state any significant advantage but I think in this case if they did it could have been traded off - mitigated in some other way.

Poor do all round but now we are stuck with it. Awww

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back