Has anyone installed a bosch Series 4 HBS573BS0B recently?

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Asking for the in-laws. Their current oven is plugged into a standard UK 3-pin socket. They're looking to replace it, and we're struggling to get a definite answer, either from John Lewis, the retailer with it at sale price at the moment, or from the Bosch online installation instructions, whether or not it comes supplied with a standard UK power cable with moulded plug, whether or not it needs a hard-wired connection to a double-pole wall switch, etc. etc.

There's no illustrations to help in the Bosch installation manual, and the wording is vague and unhelpful.

Has anyone installed this actual model recently, and could advise?

Sponsored Links

1699618486827.png

I have no experience with this oven, however the specifications are available...

Screenshot_20231110-121123_Chrome.jpg

It does not come supplied with a plug and cable.
It is also rated at 2990 Watts - this is bang on 13A @ 230V

Most plug-in an go ovens are rated at around 2400W, quite a bit below the 13A fuse rating - allowing a safety margin, even with continuous use.

I think it would be unwise to put a plug on it!
Hardwiring would be preferable.

At the Bosch website, they show a plug-in cable with a bare wire at the power supply end, and the installation instructions suggest that a longer cable is available as a spare ....

58300000206902_aet_004_a_01.png

and the spare cable appears to be standard flex ..

MCSA02234146_00754544_def.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
At the Bosch website, they show a plug-in cable with a bare wire at the power supply end, and the installation instructions suggest that a longer cable is available as a spare ....

58300000206902_aet_004_a_01.png
Yes, but the Bosch manual also has instructions like...
Screenshot_20231110-125615_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

And pictures like...
Screenshot_20231110-125536_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

These are aimed at the European market where you may be able to plug an appliance in that can draw up to 16A.

Am I the only one who reads "earthing contact socket" and thinks that could mean a simple UK 13A socket ...?

Honestly, I really don't think they've worded it very well

It's probably an automatic translation from the german original.

Some plugs in Europe do not have an earth contact.

Am I the only one who reads "earthing contact socket" and thinks that could mean a simple UK 13A socket ...?

Honestly, I really don't think they've worded it very well

I think that is intended for the continent, where some of their sockets lack an earth pin. Me - I think the only way forward, is a 16amp plug and socket, or a direct connection to a cooker outlet.

I also note that the word afbryderanordning in the Danish version (switching device) has been translated as partition in the english version. They might as well not have bothered with the translation.

I have a very similar Bosch Series 4 oven. It came with bare wire ends as shown. This turned out to be helpful as the electrician wanted the oven on a plug/socket in an adjacent cupboard rather than hardwired (easier for testing apparently) so I needed only to drill an 8mm hole for the flex and then wired the plug.

I have a very similar Bosch Series 4 oven. It came with bare wire ends as shown. This turned out to be helpful as the electrician wanted the oven on a plug/socket in an adjacent cupboard rather than hardwired (easier for testing apparently) so I needed only to drill an 8mm hole for the flex and then wired the plug.

Did you run it on a 13amp socket, and have you checked for signs of overheating of the plug/socket?

Just checked. It's fine.
What is the rated wattage on yours and the model number?

If it's a lower wattage than the OPs, then that's fine.

It may also work out ok, for the OP to plug in their 2990W appliance - however, I still couldn't recommend doing it! :)

Bosch UK website states a cable supplied and a 13A fuse required (to protect said cable). Thus a 13A good quality plug fitted should be OK. Changing the socket for a fused connection unit may reduce the plug to socket spring connection heating that can sometimes occur. But a (13A) fuse is a requirement from Bosch UK it seems.

NB it has three heating elements: Grill at top, circular around the fan, and hidden bottom element.

All elements are rated 220-240 V by Bosch, for what that is worth.
2800 Watt heater top element (grill)
1600 Watt fan circular element.
1300 Watt heater bottom element.

It also has a 25 Watt mains halogen lamp, and the fan 'blower motor' that Bosch don't specify the power for and a cooling fan for pyrolisis function at 24V DC 28.8 Watts.

It is probably unlikely the grill will be run for hours at a time, and the oven is thermostatically controlled. Pyrolitic cleaning?? I dunno. Some grills are thermostatically controlled. {I haven't checked the manual for this one).

Immersion water heaters are worse than this sort of oven I'd suggest, because of the time ON at full current. ;) <ducks>

Changing the socket for a fused connection unit may reduce the plug to socket spring connection heating that can sometimes occur.
Agreed, I would personally go for an FCU, but I didn't want to be the first to mention it! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back