Haunted garage door!

Equally needless to day, there are dissenters from that view **.
I'm sure there are. Quite where people like them think we should build the hundreds of thousands of new houses which we have no choice but to build beats me. Anywhere they can't see them, I guess.

Sponsored Links
Some of the runways and hardstandings are used by a car storage company. We passed thru there a few weeks ago and there are signs of development - developers boards, etc. It's a really odd place - I'd think it would make a good film set. There's still evidence of USAF occupation, viz. the commissary, laundromat and a credit union building, plus those nice yellow fire hydrants they have in films!
Indeed so - but you're a bit late in suggesting that it could be used as a film set (both before and after decommissioning). According to Mr Wikipedia:
The base has appeared in several film and television productions, portraying various fictional military sites. It appeared as a USAFE base in West Germany for the James Bond film Octopussy in 1982, and as the fictional "RAF Baywaters" (intended to invoke RAF Bentwaters) in The Fourth Protocol.
The abandoned base also appeared as "RAF Heyford" in the television series Lewis, series five episode "Old, Unhappy, Far-Off Things", first broadcast in 2011, playing an important role in the development of the plot. It was also used in the film World War Z, due to be released in 2013, with scenes featuring a supermarket and a large number of American cars.

Kind Regards, John

There's still evidence of USAF occupation, viz. the commissary, laundromat and a credit union building, plus those nice yellow fire hydrants they have in films!
But did they change the roads over to driving on the right? Or would a film maker risk the kind of mistake Kubrick made in Full Metal Jacket?

My friend used to picket the place in the 1980's and swears Thatcher had her phone bugged!
She could well be right.

Sponsored Links
The base has appeared in several film and television productions, portraying various fictional military sites. It appeared as a USAFE base in West Germany for the James Bond film Octopussy in 1982, and as the fictional "RAF Baywaters" (intended to invoke RAF Bentwaters) in The Fourth Protocol.
The abandoned base also appeared as "RAF Heyford" in the television series Lewis, series five episode "Old, Unhappy, Far-Off Things", first broadcast in 2011, playing an important role in the development of the plot. It was also used in the film World War Z, due to be released in 2013, with scenes featuring a supermarket and a large number of American cars.

Kind Regards, John[/quote]

And don't forget 'Muppets Most Wanted' out next year!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back