Have I been overquoted for this tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all... I'd appreciate if you could give me some idea if you think I am being ripped off here....

I need to get another quote but I have agreed a price with a builder to do some work for me... but also wanted some additional tiling done... (the first work and the replacement of windows) cannot be done though until this extra tiling is complete...... so I need to get something sorted very quickly. The tiles are to replace existing tiles that are vertically on the front of my home.

I have measured the area (and overquoted on meterials deliberately...
I think I need

11 sq. metres of Redland Plain Rustic Red or Tudor Brown tiles (cement tiles with a camber)
and
3sq. metres of Redland Club tiles

Then felt and battening plus nails..

The builder has quoted me £690 for the tiles and labour.... then a further £55 if I have the club tiles.... and should the current felt and batten need replacing that would be a further £280....

I called a few local roofing merchants...and go materials prices around the £250-£300 mark for this metrage.... so a labour charge of £700 does seem very steep to me....

Any advice would be welcome....

I'm in SE London by the way.

please see 9

Sponsored Links
...Well its a builders world at the moment!..To be honest it kind of sounds reasonable if he does a good job...

How much would it be worth if you fell off a ladder doing the job? Gravity has been working well in EVERY place I have visited, and it can do a lot of damage. That's probably a minimum of 2 days for 2 people.

Hi all... I'd appreciate if you could give me some idea if you think I am being ripped off here....

I need to get another quote but I have agreed a price with a builder to do some work for me... but also wanted some additional tiling done... (the first work and the replacement of windows) cannot be done though until this extra tiling is complete...... so I need to get something sorted very quickly. The tiles are to replace existing tiles that are vertically on the front of my home.

I have measured the area (and overquoted on meterials deliberately...
I think I need

11 sq. metres of Redland Plain Rustic Red or Tudor Brown tiles (cement tiles with a camber)
and
3sq. metres of Redland Club tiles

Then felt and battening plus nails..

The builder has quoted me £690 for the tiles and labour.... then a further £55 if I have the club tiles.... and should the current felt and batten need replacing that would be a further £280....

I called a few local roofing merchants...and go materials prices around the £250-£300 mark for this metrage.... so a labour charge of £700 does seem very steep to me....

Any advice would be welcome....

I'm in SE London by the way.

please see 9
For london that sounds reasonable

Sponsored Links
do it yourself.

this is a diy forum and we will give you all the guidance you need.

we can not unfortunately, provide you with the skill or the tools.

you may even find it fun. ha ha.

Its not excessive, all well and good trying to do the sums yourself but I am sure there's more to take into account. scaffold eaves tiles,tile and half etc etc. For peace of mind get another quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back