Have I come across asbestos? (Photos within)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refurbishing my kitchen and started taking some plasterboard down. I quickly stopped when I noticed the thin fibres (see pictures). There are some strips within with Gyproc written on them. Does this look like I need to get a sample tested for asbestos? House was built in 1957

Sponsored Links
I'm refurbishing my kitchen and started taking some plasterboard down. I quickly stopped when I noticed the thin fibres (see pictures). There are some strips within with Gyproc written on them. Does this look like I need to get a sample tested for asbestos? House was built in 1957

not an asbestos expert but it doesnt look worrying to me. Just looks like old plasterboard with the old brown scrim(cant remember proper name)

if you are at all worrried, seal the area, take all your clothes you were wearing and put them in a bag and give yourself a good scrub. Then arrange for an expert to test for asbestos

Sponsored Links
Hessian/Jute scrim, that's exactly what it is. No hazzard from that at all, but as with any old plaster materials, dust from it, etc, it's better not to breathe it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back