Have I got subsidence ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed cracks in the rear wall, above the kitchen window and across the lintel, does it look like subsidence ?? We do have clay soil around here (Wirral) and Ive recently had a massive tree removed which was about 20 ft from my house and pushing up my path.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Noticed cracks in the rear wall, above the kitchen window and across the lintel, does it look like subsidence ?? We do have clay soil around here (Wirral) and Ive recently had a massive tree removed which was about 20 ft from my house and pushing up my path.

Cheers

No, the cracks displayed are not anywhere near severe enough to start worrying about subsidence. According to the BRE crack interpretation guide they'd be classed as nothing more than decorative cracks. The cracks above the window appear to be caused by the common problem of having timber windows replaced with UPvC.

The cracks above the window appear to be caused by the common problem of having timber windows replaced with UPvC.

I thought that at first, but if you look carefully, there appears to be a concrete boot lintel there, so would it necessarily be affected when the window was replaced?

Sponsored Links
The cracks above the window appear to be caused by the common problem of having timber windows replaced with UPvC.

I thought that at first, but if you look carefully, there appears to be a concrete boot lintel there, so would it necessarily be affected when the window was replaced?

There's no bearing surface on the outer leaf brickwork so I think it would. Be interested in knowing when the windows were replaced and when these cracks appeared.

Years ago I thought I'd seen some of these patented lintels which only had their bearing on the inner skin. The front lip (which obviously supports the outer skin) was just a cantilevered section from the back. Very 1950s.

Thanks everyone, (will check in November).. the original window was indeed timber (before I moved in) but has been replaced twice with upvc as the upvc windows that were in when I moved in, were externally glazed so I replaced them with internally glazed ones. Maybe the fact that they've been replaced twice hasn't helped ????

I moved in in 1998 and got upvc changed from external to internal glazed in 2003. Will check some old bbq photos to see if cracks were there prior to this yr. Looking at various pics online, the cracks do seem small for subsidence but a lot of subsidence websites mention cracks around windows, doors, lintels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back