Have I killed this tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok guys 2 years ago I put a raised rose bed around the trunk of a 20 year old flowering tree.( Soil membrane and bark) last year the leaves were a bit wrinkled bit it did flower. This year no buds no green under the bark and it the branches are grey. Dead or could I save it ?

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20220427-165942-895.png
Screenshot_20220427-165541-276.png
Screenshot_20220427-165059-837.png
Screenshot_20220427-165043-967.png
Screenshot_20220427-165026-682.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I wouldn't right it off just yet but I would pull the earth around from the bottom of the trunk and give it a good watering, then see how it goes for the next month or so.

Andy

Ok thanks should I expose the surrounding area for oxygen purposes

If it is dead I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, because it looks like a very modest expanse of fairly thin chippings.

It was suggested I excavate the rosemead out and water it everyday for a month or to see if anything happens

Last years frost was bad for fruit trees, killing off buds as they began to flower but what's causing the bark to break away like that? It looks like an animal scratched it away?
Replace the soil around the roots with a loam mixture - Westlands do a good range that will be right for your tree. Don't overwater it. Remove the plastic from around the base and i'd recommend you cut back the crown and long branches. If you're not confident on that job get a pro to do it. Remove the deadwood, at least, and see how it looks.
Ideally you should be cutting it back in late winter-early spring but if the tree isn't looking happy this summer more drastic action may be necessary to save it.
Do you ever give it a liquid feed?
I like to give my fruit trees a liquid lunch twice a year: at this time of year when the blossom is out (this year is glorious, btw) and then again at midsummer as the fruit buds begin to show. It helps to give them a boost with a supplementary feed.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back