Have I used the wrong filler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been reading the posts on preparing walls ready for painting.
I've been filling the holes with Painter's Mate Ready Mixed Flexible Acrylic Filler.

Seems like I've used the wrong product, since everyone recommends powdered fillers as easier to sand and lots of the posts say the filler will shine through the paint. I've only used it on a few holes and to fill a few cracks, but

1. Is there anything I can do now to fix my mistake?
2. Should I shift to a different filler?

Sponsored Links
Hi lindsy... The acrylic stuff your using is only meant for fine cracks like between wall and skirting... No good for holes... Though if you can sand , shave a bit off the holes already done you can finish off with some powder filler, I like polyfilla INTERIOR. Not Universal fillers which are more difficult to sand and hide when painted over ..
good luck.

thanks for the reply, I'll get some polyfilla interior, and use that from now on, most of the holes I filled I dint fill all the way up, thinking to add a final smooth layer rather than sand back, so if I do that with polyfilla I might be okay.

as to fine cracks between skirting boards and walls, I've got some pretty big gaps there, rather than fine cracks, like the skirting boards werent put on right and lots of big gaps in door frames, I'm thinking fill them with painters mate and put on a final layer of polyfilla with them toothis dound right?

Use Polycell Trade Polyfilla One Fill for all your filling needs.

Though dont use it for big plaster holes (i.e. 20cm by 20 cm) as it is expensive stuff.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Third-Eye,
most of the holes are just from rawl-plugs,some about the size of an old penny where the plaster fell off when I pulled the plug out, there are also several scores in the hallway plaster, from someone scoring wallpaper prior to stripping it looks like, and some gouges where paper was hacked off without enough water or steam

Lindsey, for the big gaps in on the top of your skirtings or frames, get some newspaper and damp it down a bit, tear strips off and roll it, then poke that down into the gaps, that will fill the gap, then get your decorators filler and just go along the top.
You will save on decorators filler, even when the paper dries out, it will still be okay, and not affect your decorators filler.

For your wall cracks, like the others said just use ordinary powder filler, dont put it on too thick, when dry sand it down, dont worry if its still indented, as you can alwats fill it again, and it will dry much quicker.

Before you actually paint the walls where you have done the filling, one method is to use some diluted emulsion, and brush on these filled bits at least twice, then you can roll your coats as normal.
This will stop the filler lifting onto your roller, and help to stop the blleding of your filler showing through your coats of paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back