have stripped walls down to plaster...now what!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We had a horrid spare room, with old wallpaper and border which we have sepnd the past god knows how long stripping. Under the said floral wallpaper, we unhelpfully found layers of flaky paint...so another week has passed chipping away the paint where possible. We now have almost 4 walls of bare plaster. There are still patches of paint which refuse to be scrapped away (large 4 inch razor blade style scraper). We've sanded down with an electric sander any ridges between the remainign paint and the bare plaster and also seem to have managed to get some of the chunks out of the plaster than i may have made when over-enthusiastically scrapping...

So my question is as follows....
We have scrapped, sanded...what next before we paint? We have 90% bare plaster with patches of olf paint that is stable and smooth. We also need to polyfill so i guess strickly speaking that is next.... But after that....would you smart folks reccomend a mist coat to see how it goes then sand again if necessary then paint with chosen dulux emulsion? im eharing about vinyl coats/ blah blah but thats making me very confused, is a mist coat the way to go with 50/50 matt emulsion then good to go?

Thanks for the help clever people.

Sponsored Links
Try to get all the paint off, might budge the stubben stuff with heat gun or steamer, just be careful of heat cracking the plaster though.
Remove dust, dirt. grease etc..
Then mist coat, a good quality emulsion will be diluted by 15%-20% (water) only.
Cheap paint may only need 0%-5% .

Not sure I qualify as one of the clever people but my thoughts are as follows..

Depending on just how good the surface is then a little filling and sanding followed by a mist coat will show you just how smooth your walls are. I would be tempted to add maybe 20-30% water as a mist coat cannot be too dilute in my opinion especially if doing the work on your own home where time and labour costs are not an issue.
I often find that lining old walls can give a better result, depending on how the walls look after a mist coat and hanging lining paper isn't hard and can save hours of filling and sanding - a 1200 grade paper will cover a lot of small faults.
However, if the walls look good after the mist coat then get painting - it sounds as if you have dome the prep well - as PrenticeBoy says it is worth removing dust so hoovering the walls is worth the time it takes. Use decent paint and a good brush and roller and then enjoy the results of all that hard work !

Try to get all the paint off, might budge the stubben stuff with heat gun or steamer, just be careful of heat cracking the plaster though.
Remove dust, dirt. grease etc..
Then mist coat, a good quality emulsion will be diluted by 15%-20% (water) only.
Cheap paint may only need 0%-5% .

Thanks for this, sounds like where im heading! good to know many thanks

Sponsored Links
Not sure I qualify as one of the clever people but my thoughts are as follows..

Depending on just how good the surface is then a little filling and sanding followed by a mist coat will show you just how smooth your walls are. I would be tempted to add maybe 20-30% water as a mist coat cannot be too dilute in my opinion especially if doing the work on your own home where time and labour costs are not an issue.
I often find that lining old walls can give a better result, depending on how the walls look after a mist coat and hanging lining paper isn't hard and can save hours of filling and sanding - a 1200 grade paper will cover a lot of small faults.
However, if the walls look good after the mist coat then get painting - it sounds as if you have dome the prep well - as PrenticeBoy says it is worth removing dust so hoovering the walls is worth the time it takes. Use decent paint and a good brush and roller and then enjoy the results of all that hard work !

Great this is what I was hoping you'd day, im off to sand a bit more and fill some holes and see what the situation is then. Really Appreciate the help guys x

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back