Having a nightmare with wall mounted toilet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Spent today attempting to install my new wall mounted toilet. Bought a Grohe rapid SL which I manged to connect without too much grief despite instructions being bloody awful! The toilet is from Bathaholic.co.uk which is compatible with the cistern

The main problem i'm having now which has haulted all progress is with actually connecting the pan to the cistern - The connectors/bolts that connect to that back of the toilet are really loose and just dont seem correct.

I have been given no paperwork for this part of the installation and really could do with some help from you guys. Ive taken photos which I hope will clarify my situation.

I dont know if im missing the obvious but I cant suss this one out. The connector seems to consist of a long threaded rod which screws into the cistern which joins onto a kind of connector which I assume goes through the holes in the back of the pan. Once the black rubber but goes in it doesnt come back out however there is a lot of give and its far from secure. Have a look at the pics and if possible let me know where Im going wrong

Cheers

[/img]

Sponsored Links
93tywuM12ktNFKCum1Gx8eSwwyahOnUFpUzxSLVXjwAsUVZTiCEGAg7df4bP0geVzY_lwO4lgoc686GmP3OV2X-fHDaFi4YqwHNeXvTALQLHtclLZthUV0hYu6rav5mBUnQxmihd9nLg_bUoUoJWhenjDy9Qq56QdTnkO2F8Df5PHhaq5YfnaU4vFBlL8FxYAnnAgJyT-MXE_4esFHG9lg

Look at the picture. Aint it bleeding obvious where the bolts go?
Is it tiled in?

disregard the black stud thing they maybe for the toiletseat holes

did you chew that flushpipe off? every heard of a half round file

It amazes me that people with little or no practical ability attempt these things.

MrBenchmark,

Quite a brash assumption you've come to there but I appreciate your feedback none the less.

Of course its obvious where the bolts go! I have taken them out to make it easy to take photographs, obviously

The flushpipe is still to be filed and tapered at 45 degrees.

The whole issue Im having really is what the hell are these black plug things and how do they work? And your answer is they have nothing to do with the hanging of the pan which makes sense but also makes me think what the are they for then?

MrBenchmark.After a reply like yours to a perfectly honest question I think your talents lay in the diplomatic service. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
thanks again for the replis,

Denso13, the pdf you posted is the same as the instructions that came with the cistern - I have all the parts plus these 2 additional black rubber connectors as pictured. I have tried to connect with and without the black connectors and both occasions failed miserably. I honestly feel like a part is missing or something...

Any more advice then feel free to throw it in my direction

Again, thanks for the reply but Ive watched this before and it doesnt help

At 4mins 45 seconds you can see the threaded screws go in along with a kind of card board covering which I have...Using this alone isnt an option as the holes at the back of the toilet are so wide meaning the pan will just tilt downwards and slide off

For the methodology of mounting in the video to work you would need access to the fixings from the pan side.

In which case have you such an access point?

If yes, perhaps the black plastic fittings are meant to be 180deg about.

From what I see that would in my mind be a safer method to hold the pan, but would need access pan side.

Done a couple of the grohes but , the pan had holes that went right through eg the studs from the frame went through the pan nuts werethan tightened up from the pan side ?

there was another tacky ( in my view ) method used by geberit WC frames useing special fixings going through the top of the pan ?

The only access I have to the bolts is from the underside of the pan. As the pan is only raised 5cm off the floor once its in position I have no access.

There are holes either side of the pan where an alan key can be used to loosen the screw on the rubber 'rocket' connector

I stumbled across this website which shows the sort of connection I have but sods law no installation instruction

http://www.villeroy-boch.com/en/gb/...ness/innovations/wcs/concealed-fastening.html

Must admit u have to admire ( not ) these various R&D (?) departments that dream up some of this s**te ?? looks worst than the tacky method dreamt up by some fool (?) at Geberit you have probably got some universal pictorial install instructions in 50 odd languages ?

It would seem that they are holding the pan to the wall with expanding type fasteners ?? but how u acess them ?????

Sorry to hear that you only have 50mm bottom access. Hope you will forgive the observation, but it would seem you have been sold a pup.

My advice would be to talk to the guys who sold you it as it is clearly NOT compatable with the mounting frame assembly. Unless of course there is a magical method of achieving this...

I would suspect that the 'Rocket fitting' would be fitted with the three fingers acting to hold the thing in the hole from inside the pan this would them mean that access via the panel mount would be required to tighten the bolt, thus pulling the whole lot into compression.

Ah... the joys of plumbing.

Sorry to hear that you only have 50mm bottom access. Hope you will forgive the observation, but it would seem you have been sold a pup.

My advice would be to talk to the guys who sold you it as it is clearly NOT compatable with the mounting frame assembly. Unless of course there is a magical method of achieving this...

I would suspect that the 'Rocket fitting' would be fitted with the three fingers acting to hold the thing in the hole from inside the pan this would them mean that access via the panel mount would be required to tighten the bolt, thus pulling the whole lot into compression.

Ah... the joys of plumbing.

Well with the absense of any further imfo I'm with weedrip :)

this would them mean that access via the panel mount would be required to tighten the bolt, thus pulling the whole lot into compression.

There is access via holes for the alan key to tighten the screw

Despite this im still having issues. Firstly, I suspect the black 'rocket' connector was back to front in my original post. I still think the hole at the back of the toilet is simply to big for the connector. When I screw the thread into the rocket bolt it still moves about 10 degrees in each direction...?

More pics added - appreicate all comments so far

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back