Having pre-fab garage built on plot of land in 'parking area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I live in a 2 bed terraced house which is not accessible from the road. To access it you have to walk down a snicket past some bungalows and then turn to the left and down some steps. Included in the freehold title is section of land in a 'parking area'. To access this you come out of the house, up stairs and turn to left and up onto the snicket and then down the snicket about 15m. You then turn to the right and this is a general parking area where other people in the bungalows and terraced houses have a section of land included in their house for a car.

Other people have built brick garages on their 'plot' and I would like to do the same for 1: provide protection when car is out of sight (yobs, weather-wise) 2: Increase value of house slightly (all though not the main target)

Most terraced houses don't have any parking land included so the fact I have (and sometimes that people who don't know the area park in the damn spot!) is a good point and I need to make use of this

So I have provisionally decided to have a pre-fab garage built, as it is more than 5 metres and will be less than 3 metres high I don't believe I need planning permission- is this correct?

Does this sound like a good idea? Pro's con's

I've included an image in the post to give people an idea and made a mark on my house and also my parking plot so people can see it 'real-life' wise.

Regards,
BW

Sponsored Links
Councils usually have a 'do I need planning permission?' form which you need to complete and send to them.

This service, unlike the permission itself, is usually free, and if the building is under a certain size and far enough from boundaries then you normally wouldn't need it.

Have a look at the planning portal website at www.planningportal.gov.uk. It is up to the council official to decide whether you need it or not so even if you are outside the excemption rules they may decide against needing permission. Try to supply as much information (size, height, construction, boundary distance etc) as possible when making your enquiry. A plan will help.

Sponsored Links
No problems. I will consult my local council- North Lincs and see what they say. I did believe I didn't need it but I obviously will check to make sure.

Regards,

BW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back