HDMI splitters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been using a 2 in 1 out/ 1 in 2 out 4k version that costs about £7 and it works perfectly well.
Cable box in and switched output to TV and Projector.

However I want to add a laptop feed into that, and keep the cabling inside a cabinet.

In other words Laptop and Cable box in to first splitter (2 in) and a single output.
That output goes into the second splitter (1 in) and the 2 outputs then go to the TV and Projector.

Multiple in/out HDMI splitters are quite expensive. So in effect what I want to ask is are there any problems with linking two of these cheaper splitters together?

Sponsored Links
Each switch has an impact on the signal. It's like Chinese whispers. The original signal degrades. Eventually it reaches a tipping point we call 'the digital cliff'. This is the point where the losses mount up enough that the signal collapses.

It's impossible to predict with certainty whether or not your plan will work and, more importantly, continue to work. If money is the issue then you'll just have try it and see.

Thanks lucid
Just don't like paying out if a cheaper solution can be found that works, and the loft is full of unused/replaced gadgets!
Both the TV and projector are only 1920x1080 as we still watch a fair bit on SD channels, so won't be using 4k sources as such.

Sponsored Links
If you want something a bit better than the Chinese 'no brand' stuff then I have a CYP EL-31SY sitting here redundant. It's a 3-in:1-out switch. New prices range from £80 to £120. Cheapest s/h is one on eBay is £15, but that one has no power supply so that would be an extra cost. Mine has the power supply and wouldn't be that far off a similar price. If all you want is low price though stick with your plan. Message me if you'd like more details.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back