HDMI to VGA, should be simple... ?

I don't have a "dog" in this "fight". I will however admit that whenever I have posted on this sub forum, Lucid is the person that I (ultimately, but not exclusively) want to respond to my question.

For the record, I have never found him to be anything other than helpful. I, respectfully, suggest that something might have got "lost in translation".

It doesn't reflect well upon the site when people are critical of each other. This site relies upon tradesmen that devote their time to trying to help others.
It doesn't reflect well on the site when someone posts incorrect accusative crap in big bold letters because they feel a need to write but can't be bothered to read and have nothing to say. With pictures of an entirely different, irrelevant converter. Off topic posts are against the rules. Must indeed have been an off day.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Have another very careful read on the spec on your converter. I bought a pair of cheap HDMI baluns to get main TV repeated upstairs. They worked sometimes....I investigated and they are designed to work at a fixed resolution no greater (obviously) but also no less. Can't remember the numbers, think the res was 1080i- so set Virgin box to that, tune to BBC or itv, all good. Tune to a high number channel showing lower-res content the box would derate to the lower Res and the link would stop working.

Could be you have it...
It's an old projector, maybe even just 600 x 800. "VGA up to 1080P" is the common description for the converters which actualy say anything at all, though there are still some which specify 600 800 or SVGA (1024 768). Only the aforementioned few quid, so worth a pop.
Delving into the detailed M.O's of the conversion chips themselves, some are more promising than others so I'll also look for ones which match better chip to converter manufacturer. The one I've used which works best is of course, anonymous.

It doesn't reflect well on the site when someone posts incorrect accusative crap in big bold letters because they feel a need to write but can't be bothered to read and have nothing to say. With pictures of an entirely different, irrelevant converter. Off topic posts are against the rules. Must indeed have been an off day.

So when you said "So the questions remain - what does the USB lead do" you were completely ignoring the bit where all the specs say it is to provide power to the interface.
You wrote it yourself dude.
What you didn't write is what make/model the projector actually was despite being asked - this is actually quite important info as he may have experience of that specific projector and could have simply told you the exact resolution to your problem.

Feck me, when someone gives me the level of help as he did in hs first post I'd be telling him everything I can to get more help as he clearly knows his stuff.

So when you said "So the questions remain - what does the USB lead do" you were completely ignoring the bit where all the specs say it is to provide power to the interface.
You wrote it yourself dude.
What you didn't write is what make/model the projector actually was despite being asked - this is actually quite important info as he may have experience of that specific projector and could have simply told you the exact resolution to your problem.

Feck me, when someone gives me the level of help as he did in hs first post I'd be telling him everything I can to get more help as he clearly knows his stuff.
No I said it provides power, dude, post#1.
Perhaps you and he aren't aware there's already power in an HDMI connection, like there is in a USB connection.
There's more than enough for standard VGA. An unpowered converter worked with this projector. Which I also wrote.
What we still don't know is what that extra power might be for, dude.
I don't know the make model of the projector, or I would have put it in, dude.
Projector's enclosed, as many are.
He already had enough information, and not the experience of subsequent posters so he gobbed off with a page of irrelevant waffle and self aggrandisement about his marvellous experience with £20,000 ... ... troll .... blah
As I said, he hasn't given any help.

Not enough reading before writing, going on here.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back