Header tank leak ! plz help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys my header tank has leaked (faulty ballcock) now all my bedroom ceiling is wet an needs replacing as the plaster is cracking badly ! im worried about the beams that support my roof ! will it affect these and my roof come crashing down !

Sponsored Links
Your roof won't coming crashing down but your plaster board might!

Post some pictures.

Andy

yes im thinking that the effected plaster board will need replacing and re plastering. However the beams that the plaster board are nailed too are wet, will these rot an get weak ? the insulation will need replacing too as this will be wet, an i suspect weighing the plaster board down (aswell as the water) ive screwed a 2 x 1 piece of wood across the affected area so that it doesnt come crashing down in the night on top of me an the miss's :( she wouldnt be too happy !

Sponsored Links
You will need to remove the plaster board and insulation. The timber will ok. But removing the plaster board is a very messy job, wear goggles, and a face mask. You should empty the room and have dust sheets, also have plenty of rubble bags.

Andy

right guys took down the plasterboard and insulation down (this was very wet) and the support beams are wet through ! i imagine it will dry out but im worried they wont be strong an be weak ? there is a main support beam that runs diagonally from corner to corner of the house (this is dry an 3" x 6") which the ceiling beams (2" x 3" that are wet) are nailed too. Would i be better off to replace the 2x3 or even run new 2x3 at the side of them (if necessary).
Jon

Jon the main thing is has the leak being fixed?

The joists will dry out, can you post pictures of the ceiling/timber work.

Andy

wow andy do you live on here ;) cheers for the quick reply.
As for the overflow its been stopped as i have no water running at the minute as stopped it from the main stop tap. im in the process of sorting it though ! went to bnq they should be called steel n que ! lol

ive added pictures Andy :) took me awhile to figure how to do it lol the board above the beams is in the loft ! im going to have to rip all this out and replace as this was done by the previous owner of the house for insulation. The boarding an insulation wont be such a problem to replace but i fear the beams will be a bigger problem :(

The joists will be fine, the next job is to de-nail the joists and let them dry out. Then re-board with the same thickness of plaster board, you will need a hand to fit new boards. Screw the boards up don't nail them, then get it re-skimmed.

What sheet material are the tanks sitting on? ply or chipboard?

Has the leak being fixed?

Andy

the leaking has been fixed as no water lol but i have yet to fit the new ball cok etc im going to take out the tanks and replce with marine board .

Ok, but don't put insulation under the tanks, it will help stop the tanks from freezing.

Andy

had to read that 3 times but yes realised what you mean :) the heat from the bedroom will help keep the tanks warmer, yes ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back