Header Tank Water Suoply Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appear to have continual problems with the water valve supplying my Central Heating Header Tank.

Due to diificult access for changing washers I changed a conventional float valve to a Torbeck and within the last 3-4 years, I have had the to change the diaphram valve often due to the valve not completely shutting off and constant discharge of water in the overflow sytem, which is expensive now that our area has compulsory water meters.

Can anybody please tell me why this keeps happening and what is the least problematic system to fit?

Redcap

Sponsored Links
You may be better asking in the Plumbing forums, but for the Feed & Expansion tank there's nothing wrong with the standard ballcock. It'll rarely open anyway unless you have a leak.

Actually, the water meter bill would be the least of your worries - if you are putting loads of fresh water into the system then it will cause stuff to corrode quite quickly as the fresh water has a lot of dissolved oxygen in it.

As it happens, I've recently changed the ballcock in our DHW header tank because it wouldn't shut off fully. Turned out there were a couple of tiny grooves eroded into the seat - so water leaked through these, and also the constant flow caused erosion that cut deep into the washer over a fairly short time.

Many thanks for your answer and opinion, you are right, I will fit a standard ball cock valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back