Heat Pump & HW Cylinder Location?

S

sturharv

I have a job where we are proposing a ground source heat pump system. The only location for the heat pump (about the size of a washing machine) and the cylinder will be in a purpose built outbuilding on the side of the property, I say 'outbuilding' but it will be quite substantial i.e. brick etc.

Would you insulate it? Or would you just insulate the pipes? Does anyone see any problems with doing this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I would insulate it.

There's some delicate electrical stuff in a heat pump so if you can keep it dry and damp proof so much the better.

sturharv wrote

Would you insulate it?

Should be no need. You'll spoil the aeshetically pleasing look of the system.
Thermalstore3.jpg

Most units are lined with some form of sound proofing anyway and this will act as insulation.
Regarding the electrics I fitted many an out door unit in the lashing rain with the pcb,s getting a soaking and it never seemed to do them any harm.
And in any case their is nothing much more than a sheet of tin separating them from the elements when its all put together.

I suppose you see these in garages etc. which is only the same.

Sponsored Links
Would you put a heat meter and / or smoke alarm in that plant building area?

Presumably the user will need a certain amount of control within the main house to prevent the need to go outside, what controls would need to go in the house?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back