Heat Shield from Cat on Exhaust on Honda Civic Estate 1.6 ES

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a rattling around the front-to-mid area under my Honda Civic Estate 1.6 ES (1998) and I took it into KwikFit and they said I had a cracked upper Heat Shield which they promptly took off.

They told me it was generally be OK to drive without it but it should be there for safety. (It would cost around £130 to get a new Cat fitted).

My question is, is it really OK to drive around without an upper heat shield on, or would I find it burning through the bottom of my feet or cause other damage to the car that could be more costly? Does it depend on driving style or anything, or whether short or long journeys are undertaken?

Any help would be useful. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
seen plenty of hondas/rovers with no heat shields. never seems to cause any probs.

if i get a car in with a rattling heat shield i usually tack it back on with the mig as its usually the welds that break. its just easier than trying to rip them off (the heat shield, not the punter :LOL: )

Sponsored Links
One wonders why the original manufacturer bothered to fit them in the first place, if you think their is no need....... :?: :?:

Back