Heating 101 q: Will TRV’s adjust for second heat source?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - this is probably a stupid question but… i have a property with a standard combi central heating setup with no zoning and trv’s on rads. I also have a wood burner downstairs - now if I light the burner should I be worrying about turning off trv’s downstairs so I don’t waste gas downstairs and upstairs keeps ticking over or will the TRV’s do their job and sense that downstairs is warm enough with the fire going and kick in less, this not spending twice on energy?
Thanks so much

Sponsored Links
If the rooms heat up enough, then yes, the TRVs will turn off in line with how high/low they are set.

Hi all - this is probably a stupid question but… i have a property with a standard combi central heating setup with no zoning and trv’s on rads. I also have a wood burner downstairs - now if I light the burner should I be worrying about turning off trv’s downstairs so I don’t waste gas downstairs and upstairs keeps ticking over or will the TRV’s do their job and sense that downstairs is warm enough with the fire going and kick in less, this not spending twice on energy?
Thanks so much
In thoery the TRV's should turn off if their temperatures a set correctly but in practice I think it is unlikely unless you live in a small dwelling and the downstairs radiators are in the same room as the wood burner. Try it and see if you can make it work.

Sponsored Links
In thoery the TRV's should turn off if their temperatures a set correctly but in practice I think it is unlikely unless you live in a small dwelling and the downstairs radiators are in the same room as the wood burner. Try it and see if you can make it work.
Thanks for reply yes they are in same room - it’s an open plan downstairs area

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back