Heating a house from under the floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI,

I HAVE RECENTLY PURCHASED AN OLD GRANITE PROPERTY WHICH HAS BETWEEN 4.5 - 6 FEET VOID BELOW THE FLOOR.

CURRENTLY THE HOUSE IS HEATED BY STORAGE HEATERS, WHICH I AM LOOKING TO REPLACE.

IS THERE ANY WAY THAT I COULD HEAT THE HOUSE WITH SOME FORM OF UNDERFLOOR HEATING FROM UNDER THE HOUSE, SO NO RADIATORS AND NOT STANDARD UNDERFLOOR HEATING SYSTEMS THAT REQUIRE TILES ETC. TO BE LAID ON TOP.

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF ANYTHING THAT WOULD WORK AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD ANY IDEAS???

CHEERS,
CHARLIE

Sponsored Links
See forum rule 6

At the rate you are going, I suggest you read all the forum rules, welcome aboard

Depends on how thick the floor is & what it's made of (thermal conductivity)!

Hello,

I can't help you with underfloor heating - the Romans used hot air funnels but they had slaves to stoke the fires.

But I can recommend modern storage radiators. They are cheap to buy, easy to install yourself, and cost nothing to maintain. Certainly they are dear to run but over a reasonable period they come out on top as far as overall expense goes.

Sponsored Links
bludger said:
I can't help you with underfloor heating - the Romans used hot air funnels but they had slaves to stoke the fires.
I was going to suggest lighting a few fires underneath but was not sure how well the suggestion would be taken!

My friends recently installed an underfloor heating system as part of a basement conversion. Theirs is encased in concrete and they'll be fitting laminate flooring over that. They recommend you check out the Nu-heat website, if you've not already done so.

McDebs said:
They recommend you check out the Nu-heat website, if you've not already done so.
I had a bad experience; be very wary!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back