heating advice

rt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All

I’m looking for some advice, I have just moved house and the heating system needs some attention. It is an open vent system with a balanced flue boiler in the kitchen and is about 30yrs old. The hot water tank has just started to leak and needs replacing and I would like to have a new boiler but keep the radiators which seem in good condition.

I have had some advice but there seems to be a difference in opinions on what is best. 1)These are to replace the hot tank & boiler with a Worcester Bosch greenstar 12Ri, leaving it where it is.
2)Leave the boiler where it is but install a Combi
3)Install a Combi in the loft.

There seems to be a big difference in prices and opinions on this, which has made me unsure of what, would be best for me. The house is a 3 bed semi with 1 bathroom that has had the bath removed a power shower put in its place. There is not a great demand for hot water as showers are well spread thought the day.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are many factors involved like your lifestyle and number of people and bathrooms and water flow into the house..

The system which would not cause any problems is that with the 12 Ri as thats equivalent to what you had before.

Anything else should be considered very carefully.

Check the CORGI registration independently too.

Tony

Thanks Tony,

My thoughts were to stick with just replacing the boiler and tank. I was also told that TRVs need to be fitted to the bedroom radiator to bring the system up to spec. However it was recommended that the kitchen and utility room radiators have one fitted as these rooms don’t need much heating/ have other heat sources. The lounge/dinning room has the stat in it so this does not require a TRV on the 2 rad in this room. While the hall and downstairs toilet have very small rads (500x500mm) and any heat saving would not be worth the cost of the trv and installation. Does this sound like OK advice?

I will also get the CORGI number and check.

Fit a combi in the loft. The best solution all around.

Sponsored Links
It is strongly recommended that TRvs are fitted to all rads in the house when a new boiler is fitted and the system drained.

I would still fit a TRV to one of the rads in the living room where your stat is located.

The cost of the TRVs is a very small part of the total when the system is drained anyway.

Tony

Thanks for the advice.

I just would like to know what is more important, how well the boiler is installed or the make. I have had a plumber highly recommended by friends, however he will only install certain boilers and has recommended a Potterton Promax SL. The other plumber will fit what I want which is a WB Greenstar, Honeywell t117 TRVs etc, but I have no recommendations except I have checked the CORGI reg. Also can you recommend a good make for vented hot water cylinders?

A poor boiler, as in the Promax, would probably last longer installed properly rather than a good one installed badly and not flushed out etc.

Make sure you get a fast recovery hot water cylinder what ever make you go for. They are more energy efficient and although smaller in size will give the same output of hot water to use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back