Heating and hot water problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The other half and i have recently moved into a new flat but the problems we have encountered recently have us in a pickle.

Firstly its best to explain the heating system in here...

We have an Amptec immersion, alongside a timer switch and wall mounted thermostat with preset programmed times or set of 6 (3 on 3 off).

After a month we got the first electricity bill in for £300 believe it or not. Having looked into this the reason it was so high was the amptec immersion (when on the meter lights up like a xmas tree) being on so obviously i switched it off as it was costing us a fortune. However when we did this the flat freezes as there no heat in the radiators and hot water is unavailable.

How can we get hot water and heating, when the immersion when on runs riot?

Is there a solution to this desperate situation?

Any suggestion welcome and appreciated....thanks

Sponsored Links
you may have the old type of electric storage heaters - which are like economy 7 / run of the elctricity as the immersion heater is.

Sponsored Links
well the boiler does both heating and hot water, correct? if so, don't use your immersion heater as well!

Ive managed to set the thermostat and timer switch together to the same times to match economy 10 heating system and now we have hot water running through the taps..

.....however the radiators are stone cold, the only way they heat up is if the immersion is switched on and doing that costs me a fortune!

Why are the radiators not working unless this expensive amptec immersion is on? I'm baffled please help folks

Thanks

The amptec isn't an immersion heater, it's an electric boiler. If you want your rads to get hot you'll have to have it on.

So ive got a system that costs hundreds to use or i freeze? what a choice!

I take it there no other way to heat this place without that amptec lighting up my meter?

That's the way it looks from here, I take it there's no gas supply up there.

No mate.... its kinda ironic 25 miles up the road is Europe's biggest oil terminal burning off a zillion cubic feet o waste gas every year yet we can't get any! sod's law i guess.

Looked up a site regarding amptec electric boilers just now and they maintain it's a low running cost system, well not this one it aint cos it uses when on something like 10 units of lecky in an hour thats scary.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back