Heating broken - Ideal Classic boiler not lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I noticed yesterday that even with the thermostat set to 30 that no heating was coming through at all.

Our Ideal Classic FF350 boiler isn't lit either. I've tried:

- turning on and off by the mains and the actual on/off switch
- pressng the overheat stat button - however it doesn't seem to be a button as it doesn't go in very far - does that make sense?

The knob is set to 6 which is the highest, all power is on. When I reset it or turn it on and off, I can hear it click a few times exactly as if it is about to light, but it doesn't.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Go to the airing cupboard - or wherever the pump is located, can you hear the pump running??

Is the boiler working when set to Hot Water only?

If the answer to these is YES NO then you have a Boiler fault which should be attended to by a RGI

If the Answer is NO NO then you have a Control fault that should be looked at by a competent person

if the answer is NO YES then as above.

Hope this helps ;)

Go to the airing cupboard - or wherever the pump is located, can you hear the pump running??

If the answer to these is YES NO then you have a Boiler fault which should be attended to by a RGI

If the Answer is NO NO then you have a Control fault that should be looked at by a competent person

Hope this helps ;)
and if it's NO, NO, NO, NO, NO ,NO, YES, Jim, from dibley, was your engineer and cannot be trusted!

Hope this helps ;)

Thanks a lot for your help.

Very strange this but:

Woke up this morning and found that the fuse had been tripped and was in the OFF position, so all heating and hot water was not working.

I flicked it back on and the boiler pilot light came on for the first time. YAAAY! However, I adjusted the thermostat, turning it off then on and now the pilot light won't come back on and the heating still doesn't work.

For some stupid reason I can't seem to get it re-lit either!

In answer to your questions:

The hot water in the house is working - heating isn't.
I think the pump is working

Sponsored Links
Suspect Motorised Valve actuator- the sychronous motore may have failed which caused your MCB to trip and is now open cct, this should be checked over and if necessary replaced ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back