Heating coming on at random

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read almost all the posts re this problem ('can't switch off rads', 'valve stuck' etc) but thought I'd try to get some more info here b4 the third BG engineer arrives this PM.

Had a new pump fitted Wednesday, not sure why old one gave up, but might be linked to current problem. System seemed to work for a day but then noticed i couldn't switch off the radiators, without turning off system at mains. Drayton 3 way valve was at 'w'.

Second BG guy changed valve head, no joy. Then controller and thermostat. Then another controller. Seemed to work briefly, but problems arose. He left. I'm not sure how I got the the point where the valve setting moved to 'H' but it did. Rads switched off ok as per clock, but valve stayed at 'H'. Went to bed....about 5:30 am rads came on. Came down, looked at valve and it was at 'W'. Flipped a few switches (probably heating and water 'on' and 'off' but can't recall) and it moved to 'H'. Heating running...switched it off, made a coffee and waited for clock...heating came on at designed time. When clock got to point where water was to be switched on, the controller lit up as normal BUT instead of moving to mid point, the valve stayed at 'H'.

So, what I know is this....if valve shows 'W' the rads come on, even though I'm not switching them on. The valve seems to be able to move from 'H' to 'W', but I'm not sure how or why. I'm inclined to think I have a sticking valve, and will ask the engineer to remove the head and see if the spindle is sticky (not sure if this is correct, as I'm not expert).

Anything obvious come to mind here? I'm getting a bit worried that the problem is going to be passed from plumber to electrician and back! I'd just like to have any additional input you can give me so I'm not completely in the dark.

J

Sponsored Links
The heating switched off at 8:30am the 3way valve sat at H, didn't move back to W (I think it's supposed to?). At 10am I looked again, it was now sitting at W. Not sure if rads had been on for a brief period (controls were 'off'). Now 12:30, still at W, no firing of boiler. Not sure if it's fixed itself, but doubt it. I'm waiting for the engineer to arrive before I try switching on water and heating to see what then happens.

I can't work out what is happening here....does it sound as if the 3way is 'Sticky'?

J

Engineer arrived with capacitor and leaflet explaining why newer Grundfos pump should have capacitor fitted in lead that connects it to the 'box'. Seems to be working fine now....hopefully won't wake up at 3am and feel like I'm in a sauna!

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back