HEATING FAULT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our heating system has developed a fault in the last week or so.

It is a sealed system with a primary circuit to heat the water and a few rads, and a secondary circuit to heat the remaining rads. The hot water is controlled with a cylinder stat on the storage tank and the heating is controlled with a (|Heatmiser) room stat in the hall. Both circuits are controlled with a 7 day programmer - drayton LP722. The boiler is a potterton 100e. The radiators all have trv's.

The problem is that the boiler is on all the time (until the boiler overheat thermostat kicks in) and it is not switched off by the cylinder / room stat or the programmer. The only way we can reduce or increase temperature in the house is by using the boiler thermostat knob or turning off the electrical supply to the boiler completely.

Can anyone give us some advice as to what the most likely problem is??

Thanks

Peter

Sponsored Links
Yep, motorised valve end switches are stuck closed.

Seized motrorised valve most likely.

Cheers Simon - is it possible to replace this without draining the whole system down?

Peter

so if you turn down the boiler stat, does the boiler cycle on and off as it reaches temperature?

Sponsored Links
It depends on the type of motorised valve you have, some have detachable power heads. I also depends whether the water bearing part of the valve has seized, obviously if this is the case then it will be a drain down.

oh i see, ive re-read your post and im guessing it doesn't overheat, which is what i first thought.

also, do you know how many valves you have?

Its the easiest to repair so I like systems with them.

But most of the others are just as reliable but just more difficult or impossible to repair.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back