Heating in Garage / Office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys and girls.

My uncle has asked me to install heating in his garage / office space. Its only heating required, he doesn't need water facilities.

He wants it to be wet central heating but the problem is there's no gas and water supplies in his garage.

For the gas side of things i was just going to install an electric heat only boiler rather than run a gas supply over his drive to the garage.

The thing that's stumping me is, what's the best way to fill the system without running a mains water supply over the drive aswel, would it be best to just run a temporary supply over to a filling loop and fill the system then once i have filled, remove the temp supply?

Trying to do it as cheap as possible because its a favour in return of a favour and dont want to be digging up driveways to run pipes across.

Also since its the first time i have installed and electric boiler (was thinking the Trianco Aztec or similar), i take it i would need to install all the additional safety components aswel, like the expansion vessel, PRV etc.

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Alan

Sponsored Links
Fitted a few of the electric boilers you mention in a number of garage conversions ive done recently but all run under floor heating

They worked fine on this but the heat up time might be a little slow for a conventional radiator system

All the bits youll need are in the manufacturers instructions and theyre very easy to fit and quite reliable

Not much more than a robokit and pump, good luck

He wants it to be wet central heating but the problem is there's no gas and water supplies in his garage.

You can install a vented radiator system with a header tank and just fill the header tank up with a jug. Evaporation losses if covered should be minimal.

However in this case I would suggest some nice oil-filled electric radiators. Personally I like the old Dimplex Mk 1 radiators, they are still available from eg Dealec at £140 for 1kW or £200 for 2kW incl VAT, and a lot less effort to install IMHO than piping for a wet radiator system, + rads, + paying out for an electric boiler.

Or £104 incl VAT for a Dimplex OFX range 1.5kW and not a lot more if you want a timer on it.

Why bother with wet electric central heating for an office? Its going to cost more to run due to losses in the boiler and the pipes. Just put in some electric heaters. They will be cheaper to run.

Cheaper to run would be heat pumps, but these should be fitted by an air con guy.

Sponsored Links
If he doesn't need hot water, the an air to air heatpump would be ideal, very on and off able, they react very quickly and are considerably cheaper to run than electric radiators.... Go for a decent brand, Daikin, Toshiba, Sanyo, etc

Its not really just an office, its a back area of his garage and it also has an upstairs which he has converted to a room for his train track / games room. Think there's gonna be about 3-4 radiators in it.

Think that's why he is wanting a wet system installed.

Plus because its a favour then I would feel guilty just installing some electric heaters, which wouldn't take me long to do when he is going to be filming our whole wedding, all day. So want to be fair with him when he is doing a good bit of work for me then i want to do at least the same amount of work for him.

Alan

What about fitting a couple of 3KW split units, we have one in an office & one in our showroom, they're great!!

We are checking the running cost and are getting a COP of 2 if the weather is above 8*C.

They also come with AC if he gets over excited with his trains.....Chooo!! Choo!!!.....Mind the gap!!.......... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Does he have a train drivers hat??

http://www.cooleasy.co.uk/product_wall.htm

I can never see that a wet system will have any advantages.

Either electric heating or a heat pump!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back