heating not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello i am looking for urgent advice. My heating is not working, we have tried to relight the boiler which is a glow worm hide away 60b using a variety and i think dangerous methods but with no joy. Husband thinks it is the thermo coupling ? and has purchased one at lunchtime today with the intention of fitting it tonight on return from work (does the electric need to be off?) I have also attempted to prepare the kids tea and as i have tried to light the built in hob it will not ignite and furthermore i cant hear any gas either. Is it possible that the bolier and the hob are linked in some way ? or is something completely wrong with the boiler and the hob. The multi point wall heater is ok and working fine. Thank you

Sponsored Links
the boiler that is not igniting is for the heating only, the water is heated by the multi point and thats working fine although the hot water is not as warm as it usually is though husband thinks it produces hot water cooler in the winter as opposed to summer.

When you press the button on the gas valve does gas come through?ie can you light it with a match through the inspection ?.

Sponsored Links
i dont think there is gas coming through come to think about it, cos when we tried lighting it last night we used a taper and one of those long arm igniter lighter things that we take on camping trips and it didnt ignite any flame

You need to get someone in to find out where and why the gas supply is blocked.

so it could be the actual gas supply Does this have anything to do with a thermo coupling or is that a seperate thing sorry for being so ignorant to say i dont understand gas, electrics etc or anything connected to them is an understatement !!

if the pilot wont light in the first place then its nothing to do with the thermocouple, but if you have two appliances that both seem to have lost their gas supply at the same time and another which is working ok (is gas multipoint isn't it?), then that would point towards a blockage.

i contacted british gas who advised me to contact transco because the symptoms i had given sounded like the gas supply to the house was affected.

Transco came straight away. After further investigation it would appear that the water boiler (multipoint) that is positioned in a cupboard above the heating boiler (Glow worm hideaway 60b) has been leaking water into it and this has also gone into the gas hob.

When the transco operative opened a pipe attached to the Glow worm lots of water came spraying out of it. There is also water dripping from the multi point, something which i have never noticed cos its in a cupboard and i never go in it.

The Transco operative has blocked the gas meter and all appliances for safety reasons, he has also advised that the repair man who is coming tommorow needs to get the water out of the central heating boiler and the gas hob, and also try and repair the multi point so that it leaks no longer.

I know i sound like a dimwit, but has anybody got any idea of the likely cost related to such work. If any body can help i would be really gratefull, thank you very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back