Heating problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i have a problem with ferrolli condensing combi, topping up
every couple of days no leaks any were, is it possible diverter valve leaking through when hot water to taps are running, ther is no signs of water from presure reliese and all rads bled properly. presure gauge reads zero every day and topping up to 2bar.

Sponsored Links
you are topping up too high. Just top it up to 1 bar, 1.2 bar, etc

Other than that it could be an expansion vessel fault.

you are topping up too high. Just top it up to 1 bar, 1.2 bar, etc

Other than that it could be an expansion vessel fault.

Hi again

I have bled expansion vessel no air no water, how do i know if its faulty,? boiler just out of warranty.

regards sirpeter

Your expansion vessel is similar to a car tyre. If you depress the valve and it releases water, then the diaphram that seprates the air from the water must be split/damaged.
It should release air only, but you should not releases all the air out.
The vessel is pre charged with air to about 1bar when fitted to the system. This ensures there is somewhere for the extra water to go to when expansion takes place. If there is no air in the vessel, then it must be full with water, so when expansion takes place it can't go in the vessel so the pressure builds up and when it reaches 3bar it goes out through the pressure relief valve.
The vessel over time has most likely lost some of the air pressure, so you need to re establish it. You'll need a pressure gauge and a pump and you'll need to adopt the correct procedurs. (see FAQs)

Sponsored Links
Your expansion vessel is similar to a car tyre. If you depress the valve and it releases water, then the diaphram that seprates the air from the water must be split/damaged.
It should release air only, but you should not releases all the air out.
The vessel is pre charged with air to about 1bar when fitted to the system. This ensures there is somewhere for the extra water to go to when expansion takes place. If there is no air in the vessel, then it must be full with water, so when expansion takes place it can't go in the vessel so the pressure builds up and when it reaches 3bar it goes out through the pressure relief valve.
The vessel over time has most likely lost some of the air pressure, so you need to re establish it. You'll need a pressure gauge and a pump and you'll need to adopt the correct procedurs. (see FAQs)

Thanks mandate

That sounds spot on i did several months ago bleed all air from vessel, i did,nt know not to. but now i do. thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back