heating pump constantly on Y plan help needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

So I thought i make another post dedicated to this 1 problem I am having, I am no expert at this but am trying to work this out. Had a pro come today to inspect, says possibly wiring problem but he didnt have a Y plan diagram, suggested I find this online and to save money can do it myself?

Anyway, I did some tests and came up with this so far, so just need someone to deciper it and tell me what I need to do.

The problem is the heating pump in the airing cupboard is constantly on, this should only be on when HW or CH is on and I think over run when its off for a few mins? Currently this doesnt stop so I have d/c the live as we dont need to use it for a while (not moved it completely yet).

Check this picture, its currently how it is wired and I used a multimeter to find out what is what and the HP (heating pump) is connected to a live even with the boiler is off. I checked the volts on 3 conditions, OFF, HW and CH only. MV = motorised valve, this is a 3 valve.

HPwiring.jpg

The numbers represent the connector block and above are cables connected to the block from the wall and below is what it is connected to. I have no idea what the cables from the wall are so did the multimeter test.

So now my concern is, could the wiring is wrong in the first place or it is correct but something is still calling for heat? At the data i made, it seems I can patch the live pump wire to either block 3 or 7 and this will mimic the power on and off. Not tested this with both CH and HW on.

please advise! I hope I've made this as clear as possible

P1000636Copy.jpg

Sponsored Links
Which boiler do you have? I suspect the pump is driven via the boiler as it's not wired to you actuator.

Sponsored Links
Remove pump L from boiler terminal strip and check if terminal is live with SW not calling/boiler cold.

what is SW?

the 4th block from the left is constantly live and this was where the pump was connected to.

thats where the live cable for the pump was connected

and wheres the other connection from the cyl stat ?(you may find that this is coloured green/yellow)

and why have you labelled term 1 "neutral"?

Matt

what is SW?

i think it is going to be easier for you to do this in order

a) connect the pump back up then turn on the system at the boiler spur and set the HW and CH to off on the programmer

is the pump running? if no post back if yes continue

b) loosen off the 2 screws on the bottom of the programmer, hinge it up and lift it off the back plate

is the pump running? if no post back if yes continue

c) go over and switch off the boiler at its main switch

is the pump running? if no them its almost certain that its a problem with the boiler overrun facility
if it's still running then post back

Matt

Hi Matte,

I'll try those out but plan A, the pump continues to run with the programmer OFF.

So guess its plan B, hopefully the screws will be visible but by doing this, am i hoping for loosing something?

plan c, on my main fuse box, there 1 part which isnt labelled and its a white 2 dim slot with 1 switch (if that makes sense), i think this is fuse to the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back