Heatrae sadia megaflow

Thank you Mick, i am aware of that requirement however i want to understand what's wrong to avoid be conned. I am sure you are aware of how tight money is at the moment.

Why do you expect that you will be conned?

Its not exactly a good way to start asking for advice from people in the industry when you accuse us like that.

If you want anyone from the forum to come to visit then you should contact them directly and they contact details ( if they want to be contacted ) will usually be found in their profile.

Its always prudent to ask BEFORE any visit what their charging policy is!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony, didn't say i expect to be conned, simply said i want to avoid being conned. Old lady two doors away paid £50 for a tap washer job on her outside dripping tap two years ago.

I started the thread with a question, that's all? I havn't accused anyone on here of anything, why would i as i don't know any of you?

I wasn't aware you could ask people to visit on here, i have only ever asked for information or advice.

Thanks for pointing these things out to me

Lee.

Sponsored Links
The plumber has to be trained, have the usual business backup, admin, telephones, accountant, solicitor, training and a van with insurance. Those probably work out at about £55 a week before he does any job.

Coming out to anyone is likely to be a 15-30 minute journey there and similar time to return.

Tap washers don't always take 10 min to change. I don't see how anyone can charge less than about £35 minimum for any visit.

When calling anyone get them to do the most possible, service boiler, check and operate the stop cocks so you get the best value from the visit.

Tony

Remember i only asked a question, if you don't want to answer it's fine.

All the people that seem to be suggesting how costly it is to be self employed perhaps should go and work for an employer and see how much it costs. PAYE tax with NO allowances for anything, we still got vehicles to tax, insure, maintain, petrol, my fuel for work £50 a week.

I also think the jobsworth, knowledge is power attitude does not do any tradesmen or trade any favours long term.

Guess i just believe in helping anyone i can as most times in life what goes around comes around.

All the people that seem to be suggesting how costly it is to be self employed perhaps should go and work for an employer and see how much it costs. PAYE tax with NO allowances for anything, we still got vehicles to tax, insure, maintain, petrol, my fuel for work £50 a week.

Ok so if you are sent out to a job and have to say change a flexible hose or a leaking o-ring , say it takes you 20 minutes , forget about the price of the part how much labour is your company going to charge the customer?

The point is you were implying earlier that your elderly neighbour was ripped off to the tune of 50 quid for a replacement tap washer fitted, in reality I think that commercially she got it done cheap
If it had been done through the company I work for then she would have been charged more
If it was my neighbour and she asked me personally to do it then she would have been charged a cuppa
Hey maybe you could have done it for her ;)

wether you are an engineer is neither here nor there, you need to hold the G3 cert to work on an unvented cylinder, we don't make the rules we just work to them which is why you aren't getting much advise

To answer the question how much i would get paid for 20 mins labour, the answer is £6 and that is gross. That is why i think £50 is alot.

I would of done it for my neighbour but she didnt ask.

The question was not how much YOU would have been paid. YOU would have been paid for your travelling time as well!

It was how much your employer would have charged the customer!

Ok

what safety valve is dripping ....... the one on the cylinder or the one on the Prv set ...

I dont really care what you earn nor do I have to justify what I charge as all my charges are agreed before hand

If you want to be PAYE then so be it ............ Your not really helping people warm to you and help you ...........

For what its worth ....... I was told for every person thats registered for unvented cylinders compared to the amount of cylinders sold every year ................ We should be fitting 3 per week each!! as I do about 30 per year someone must be fitting 120 of mine??

have contacted Plumber who installed the system. Thankyou to all that were helpful in this matter. I will post when problems is cured.

Sherbert, there are two issue (1) is cold water dripping through the tundish, (2) is water seeping out of the side and end of the plastic cartridge that is part of the 3bar valve on the mains inlet to the cylinder.
Thanks
Lee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back