Heatsink paste

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

If i remove the cooling fan from the Processor do I have to replace the heatsink paste or will the existing paste still do the job?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Are you removing the fan from the heatsink or the heatsink from the CPU?

If you are just taking the fan off the heatsink and not disturbing the heatsink/CPU joint then you will be OK to just put the fan, or a replacement, back.

If you disturb the joint between the heatsink and the CPU then it is advisable to clean and use a fresh dot of thermal paste.

dave

I've always cleaned the old heat sink paste, and replaced with new whenever I remove a heat sink on a PC, regardless of what it is. I view a 10 minute job that costs less than £5 time and money well spent if it means I haven't assumed that the join between heat sink and cooler has enough thermal paste with even coverage.

£5 and 10 minutes, or a new CPU? Better safe than sorry imo

OOI do you just rub off the paste with a tissue, or is there something to help clean it off?

Sponsored Links
OOI do you just rub off the paste with a tissue, or is there something to help clean it off?

I use cotton buds and cotton pads with a few drops of acetone (or Mrs Tapir's nail polish remover). I use the pads to remove the bulk of the paste, and then the cotton buds to work on the finer bits. word of warning - be very careful not to drop bits of old paste onto your motherboard, or under chips....

Also, let the heatsinks fully dry before applying new paste, and never apply too much.

Cotton buds and cotton pads are not a good idea if they contain lint. Also nail polish remover is not a good idea since it usually contains oil. Using pure acetone is not a good idea since it can attack plastics.

I use proper tim cleaner.

djrock

I think you are referring to silver paste mate normal paste which is fine unless seriously over-clocking should not present any problems.

For cleaning I use Isopropyl alcohol the stuff practically dissolves and evaporates quickly..

thanks for the info, I'll remember that for next time.

Sponsored Links
Back