Heatslave 15/19 Boiler Popping Noise when using H/W

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As above, I have a Heatslave 15/19 oil fired combi boiler. Regrettably, I had managed to let the oil tank get too low (the tank wasn't empty, there was roughly about 90 litres left in there, but it seems not enough to get the boiler working) but the tank has now been refilled, and I have managed to get it running again ensuring the oil pipe is free of air/lumps of dirt etc.

The boiler has not been into lockout mode and the central heating and hot water are working.

However, when I switch the hot tap on, after a few seconds when the boiler has 'processed' the request, there is a pop/bang noise. It is hard to describe the noise but it isn't a 'usual' boiler noise that I have heard before - it is like there is some air stuck somewhere?

Would anyone mind offering any advice about the steps I could take to remove the noise? I have used this forum a lot lately to help me fix slight issues with the boiler, but I am stuck on this one, with not knowing what to try.

Also, just to clarify, if the hot water is being used, the central heating stops working? I have only just noticed this, but read in this forum that this is what combi boilers do, is that the norm?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit-on listening to it this morning it definitely sounds like a pocket of air is stuck in there somewhere, any ideas on which parts I need to bleed/drain? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Oil line needs bleeding through the fuel pump. Refer to your manual depending on the make of burner.
When you have a hot water demand, you will get no central heating.

Oil line needs bleeding through the fuel pump. Refer to your manual depending on the make of burner.
When you have a hot water demand, you will get no central heating.

Thanks for that, I am getting mixed up though - I have a pump (which is positioned above the pressure gauge) which has a large screw in the middle (Bosch is the make) - this leads to a motorized diverting valve and also to the large part which has the 'Heatslave tank drain point'.

Below the pressure gauge I have the burner. The oil pipe comes from the oil tank into the boiler, through a flexi lead and then into the oil pump - the oil pump is a Suntec AS47C Oil Pump.

When I got the tank refilled I disconnected the flexi lead and filled 1/4ish of a bucket before reconnecting and resetting the boiler.

So do I do what I did when I refilled the oil tank, or do I do something with the pump, or do I unscrew the 'bleed and pressure gauge port' on the burner, or do I disconnet the oil line elsewhere?

Sorry for asking these questions, I have looked in the Heatslave manual but it just mentions converting the oil pump to a double pipe system.

Thanks for your reply and hopefully you will reply again!

Is your popping noise coming from the burner or the water side of the boiler?

Sponsored Links
Is your popping noise coming from the burner or the water side of the boiler?

Well I think it is coming from the top/back end of the boiler which to me would be the opposite of the burner as that is at the bottom of the boiler towered the front? Sorry I don't seem to be describing it too well...

Try bleeding the primary feed and return to the DHW heat exchanger. If this does not work, then possible scaling up of the DHW heat exchanger.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back