Heatslave 20/25 heavy smoke now wont run

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just over 2 years old

Started playing up 2 days ago by locking out. Last night started bellowing out black smoke, so I knocked it off.

Spoke to my mate whos being doing oil central heating for years and he said most prob the pump.

So we install a new pump set the pressure, and the motor doesn't appear to work so I get a new motor just in case.

And a new photo cell

Now the motor runs but will not burn up and locks out.

We stripped it down loads of times tonight but no luck.

Any ideas

Great site by the way and top members

Sponsored Links
Is it blocked up with soot inside?

If not sooty, consider how it would make smoke. Too much fuel, or not enough air. If the motor runs slow, then the pump will still deliver the right oil, but the fan will not deliver the right air. Alternatively the air supply may be restricted.

Take the pump off, and see if the motor runs hot. If it does, motor is faulty. Interesting this, I had one just like it, same age, a few days ago.

Oilman forgot to say that I fitted a new motor as well just in case :(. We cleaned the plates and when it first run it was heavy soot again but then started to clear and hen the boiler locked out :(

have you combustion checked it. might be too much air blowing flame ooot.

try winding down the air.

Sponsored Links
Thanks will you might be right I will get my mate to try this in the morning as long as hes not snowed in :(.

Set up at the mo at 130 psi and 6.5 on the mixture (as per the book).

We thoiught about dropping the pressure down although I will have less BTU's it might get it going.

Ok, so new motor. If it is making soot then air is not enough. If you have fitted a new pump, what is the pressure set to? It sounds like a combustion setting problem as wilhelm says. You should have the pressure set at 100psi. What is the nozzle size? What is the air setting? As you have spent so much money, buy a gauge, should be £20 to £30.

That was telepathy :eek:

As I said oilman my mates been a plumber for years and carried out a number of new installs for some large hotels this year so hes pretty good. We also have a top of the range 0-300 psi glisarene filled bottom entery pressure gauge costing all of about £10 lol.

I've got my own engineering company and used to work a fair bit with hydraulics myself so we've got a bit of brain between us. But its allways something daft :(...

All those new parts and no mention of a new nozzle?Id get one fitted expecially as rest of boiler is sooted up bet that wont be in great conditon either.

you cant just set it as per the book-you have to get the co2 right-hasnt your mate got a flue gas analyser?

Nozzle looked in good nick no side wear on the jet. But I will get a new one today. CO2 - we cant get it to run to get a CO2 reading ? And yes he has. Thanks for the ideas

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back