Heavy duty fence post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im using lovely old very solid railway sleepers as gate post, the gap will be 270cm wide and the gates 6ft high. now i was thinking of digging down to a depth of 80cm with 65 cm cemented and a sleeper wedged in on top to to bring to a total sleeper in the ground depth of 80cm with the gates at 180cm and some bamboo screening on top. i'm assuming the post wont be moving anytime soon once dried and up with gates hanging. with the wedging at the bottom i know i have to allow for expansion what size gap and should i put a bar on top? also the mix should i use for a strong cement mix also what aggregate size would be best?

Sponsored Links
low long are the sleepers?

if by bar you mean a lintel, yes, it will prevent the weight of the gates pulling the tops together. It need not be as thick as your sleepers.

I don't understand your wedge idea.

low long are the sleepers?

if by bar you mean a lintel, yes, it will prevent the weight of the gates pulling the tops together. It need not be as thick as your sleepers.

I don't understand your wedge idea.

The 2 most suitable are 260cm between the 2 there is only 5mm diff in length and are also near very square. lintel/bar whatever they are there will be once or twice a year that will be needed to take down so can get a caravan through the gap and load it. so thats the reason i was hoping i could wedge it at the bottom and stop is falling in on its self

You could use joist hangerr on top of post to hold stretcher timber which can just be just lifted off to give high access.

Sponsored Links
Though begs the question if fitted at the top and the posts are going to start falling in on each other, at some point having removed the strut for said caravan removal then getting the strut back in may be interesting ....

Better to just design it so that the posts are rigid in the first place.

Though begs the question if fitted at the top and the posts are going to start falling in on each other, at some point having removed the strut for said caravan removal then getting the strut back in may be interesting ....

Better to just design it so that the posts are rigid in the first place.

How would i design it rigid? one post will be up against next doors fence and the other will have another gate locking to it.

diagonal brace from the top of the gatepost to the bottom of the next post

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back