heavy objects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Initial reactions please.Do you think lifting a machine 2 feet sq 3 feet high weighing 50kg, off the ground and into a van,on your own, is an acceptable task to be asked by your employer? well on friday I was told to pick up 8 all at the same site,after the fifth one I hurt my back and refused to do any more.Now they are Quereing why my doctor has told me to have a week off etc.Im now worried what will happen when I return to work and refuse to lift anymore on my own! Thanks J.

Sponsored Links
I see you are in Barbados. Are there any recognised rules or guidlines there for a safe "one-man" lift?

Tell your employer that you are uncomfortable with being asked to lift such heavy large items on your own. Or more simply, ask for assistance. 25Kg is not unreasonable to lift on your own. Are you in a union? They might be of assistance.

"Have you been injured? had an accident at work, on the road, or in a public place? unsure if you have a claim for compensation? concerned about hidden charges? Now, there is no need to worry . . . " :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Cheers crafty ,not in union,Never anyone there to give me hand etc.I thought I would ask you guys on this site,Knowing I would get some honest opinions, J.

2 feet square, 3 feet high - sounds like a dishwasher. Seems a bit much to be asking you to shift it on your own. Wouldn't be too bad if it was a managable size. But I'm sure that there's a weight limit of either 20 or 25kgs for one person to lift. Plus that weight drops depending on the type of lift i.e. if it's awkward.

jayzee said:
Initial reactions please........

jayzee said:
Cheers john Im in england now.

They've invented Microwave flight..... ;)

Seriously, I'd ask for a tail lift, if only one man is to do the work.

I think at least you should have a risk assessment, I am under the impression a single person should not lift over 25kg, that also being a streight lift without awkward sized packages etc. The company I work for employs the 25kg rule. If two people are involved in a lift they can lift more but should be of equal stature. Try searching at http://www.hse.gov.uk/ for manual handling, loads of usefull info.

I seem to recall a 25kg figure too. When I was at college I was unfortunate enough to work for McD's. Their chips etc all come in 25kg boxes, as does the syrup for the soft drinks and the boxes of veg lard. When Icommented on the coincidence I was told "Thats the safe limit for someone to lift on their own" - its worth bearing in mind that some of the 16yr olds workign their probably didn't weigh 25kg themselves!! (exaggeration I know)

See page 10

jayzee said:
Initial reactions please.Do you think lifting a machine 2 feet sq 3 feet high weighing 50kg, off the ground and into a van,on your own, is an acceptable task to be asked by your employer? well on friday I was told to pick up 8 all at the same site,after the fifth one I hurt my back and refused to do any more.Now they are Quereing why my doctor has told me to have a week off etc.Im now worried what will happen when I return to work and refuse to lift anymore on my own! Thanks J.

In a word NO.

Cement bags were reduced from 50 Kg to 25 Kg to fit the 25Kg rule for single person lifting.

It is not just the total weight that matters, the size, shape and weight distribution have to be part of the risk assesment.

The Health and Safety Executive provide booklets about safe lifting and the risk asssements to be carried out BEFORE asking an employee to do the task.

Were you working alone on the site, had the machine fallen and trapped you was there someone to raise the alarm.

Did your firm give you access to the manual handling assessment for that particular task?
If not then they are liable
did they give you manual handling training?
If not they are liable
Are they are being threatening towards you?
If they are, they are liable
Don't allow them to threaten you especially when suffering from an industrial injury as you are at the moment, instead tell them you will not stand for their treatment of you given the circumstances and that they are lucky you havnt taken things further so far with the HSE and your doctor.
Make sure you have witnesses to the carrying of the heavy objects.
The fact that your company didn't supply another employee to help you unload leaves them liable if the Manual handling assessment (if exists) quotes a two man lift.
If the company tries to come up with an assessment then you are entitled to a copy where you can then find out when it was completed, who signed it, whether the assessment accurately portrays the task with it's recommendations.
A word with the HSE is also worthwhile, and if your firm carries on it's bullying tactics then threaten them with calling in the HSE.

Good answers .............I did my back with a cwt. of cement ...and I was a young`un @ the time :cry: Definitely they are Out of Order :evil: .....25kg....half a cwt. now

On a legal point, no punative action can be taken against you by your employer for refusing to perform a task on H&S grounds. If they fire you for refusing to lift more than 25Kg, you can seek unlimited compensation from them an an employment tribunal.

My warehouse boss asked me to put some large boxes up on a high shelf using a ladder only rated for domestic use (95kg SWL). I weigh 95kg butt naked and the boxes were probably another 10kg or so. Told him to bugger off. He said (half jokingly) to get up the ladder and stop being so soft. I again, politelty invited him to go shove his head up his arse and take the issue up with the resident H&S Nazi who gave him a bit of a slapping!.

You see, childeren: H&S can be fun! :LOL:

where does everyone get the 25kg from????

The HSE recommend that a person can lift as much, or as little, as they feel comfortable with, in the prescribed manner (legs bent back straight).

So if you can lift 50kg lift it, if you cant, dont.

However it is unreasonable to 'force' someone to lift something that they cannot manage, safety guidelines would imply that this was a 2 person lift due to height, quantity and weight.

We never have to do things we are uncomfortable doing, even for work...

Sponsored Links
Back