height of raised shower tray??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to raise my low profile shower tray to get the trap/pipes in.
I've made my own frame with board on top and the whole height to top of tray is 7"/180mm .Is 7" to high of a step ??

thanks

Sponsored Links
You tell us, you`ll be the one stepping into it. Could you not get the waste pipe under the floor ?

Should be ok. Would normally use a 4"x2" wood frame with 18mm ply on top, then allowing for a mortar mix then probably 2" for the tray - sounds about right.

Why on earth buy a low profile shower tray then build a frame which raises it to 7"?

Sponsored Links
Should be ok. Would normally use a 4"x2" wood frame with 18mm ply on top, then allowing for a mortar mix then probably 2" for the tray - sounds about right.

Thats how i have built the frame.I just needed to raise 5-10mm extra but forgot about the mortar mix ,so that should give me the extra MM's i need..Thanks

Why on earth buy a low profile shower tray then build a frame which raises it to 7"?
The Clue is in the question...think about it

The step is quite manageable, and it would be a good move if you could fix a removable plinth to the sides of your frame, just so you can get in there if need be.
John :)

OK.
1) you've already got a showertray lying about that is unsuitable for where you want to fit it
2) you've already got a showertray fitted with no trap/pipework because there's insufficient space
3) you bought a wholly unsuitable showertray
4) you are re-siting a low profile showertray

Eenie, meenie mynie or mo? Or something I've not thought of?

'I need to raise my low profile shower tray to get the trap/pipes in' is not a question.

OK.
1) you've already got a showertray lying about that is unsuitable for where you want to fit it
2) you've already got a showertray fitted with no trap/pipework because there's insufficient space
3) you bought a wholly unsuitable showertray
4) you are re-siting a low profile showertray

Eenie, meenie mynie or mo? Or something I've not thought of?

'I need to raise my low profile shower tray to get the trap/pipes in' is not a question.

Correct.... something you haven't thought of

Are you always this helpful

Something I've not thought of?
You rescued it from a skip?

You've had a few helpful posts. I was confused as to why you were botching a showertray for a purpose it was not specifically designed.

Helpful? 362 "Thanks" answers that question for you.

Something I've not thought of?
You rescued it from a skip?

You've had a few helpful posts. I was confused as to why you were botching a showertray for a purpose it was not specifically designed.

Helpful? 362 "Thanks" answers that question for you.

So your not confused, ill help you as your such a helpful chap yourself

My shower waste would have to run through 4 joist and a RSJ ..Easy option raise it above the floor
4"x2" + 18mm ply + mortar + 40mm Low profile tray = 170mm /7"
4"x2" + 18mm ply + mortar + 95mm standard tray = 225mm /9"

I thought the whole point of a low profile shower tray was to reduce the height of the step???
If you've got a better idea ill be glad to here it ,so ill know for next time

I thought the whole point of a low profile shower tray was to reduce the height of the step???
The whole point of a 'low profile' shower tray is to be 'low profile' from the floor up. You will not have a low profile, reduced height step showertray if you raise it up on 4X2 timber, or anything else, for that matter - unless you raise the whole bathroom floor on 4X2 :) . The trap/waste pipe would normally be fitted below floor level.

Now I know exactly what your aim is, I have nothing better to offer, other than fitting a watste pump, which exits the shower trap in 15mm pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back