Height of Sockets and Switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know I have asked a similar question before, although I am now confused. I have an extension to my house and am about to complete the electrics and understand that the reg’s have changed with regards to the minimum height of sockets and switches.

From what I understand they need to be between 450mm and 1200mm from the ground. Is this a recommendation or a requirement?

The rest of my house was wired many years ago and have sockets just above the skirting board and light switches at the normal height.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Under the new Part M of the building regs 2000, they MUST be between 450mm and 1200mm from the ground. this is a legal requirement.

Are you saying then that the switches for lights cannot be higher than 1200mm from the ground, i've taken a look at that and it doesn't seem very high at all....

andemz said:
Are you saying then that the switches for lights cannot be higher than 1200mm from the ground, i've taken a look at that and it doesn't seem very high at all....
Seem about right to me why do you want it higher ?

Sponsored Links
1200mm is only 4 feet. That would look daft with light switches! Plus they wouldn't be high enough to avoid the attentions of mischievous 3 year olds.

I've just had a look at all my light switches and they are all 1500mm from the floor.

I can appreciate that lower light switches are a necessity for some people but it is daft to make low-level light switches law for every new build!

Can I propose a law that internal doors must be a minimum of 2.2 metres high? I know a couple of people on the wrong side of 6'8 who bang their heads on standard 2 metre doors.

I got a good feeling that the 1200mm only applies to sockets and not for light switches... Can anybody help us here.... 1200mm i agree with Adam W, this is seriously dangerous ecspecialy for young ones with wet hands etc.... does the 450mm 1200mm only apply to sockets and not to switches????

450 and 1200 are amendments to building regs. for new builds
If you have a different standard its not illegal (who is going to know when it was put in anyway) and would not fail a wiring inspection report (IMHO) Anyone has a different opinion let me know. A lot of houses do not comply to 16th ed iee regs especially with regard to earth bonding but its not illegal (yet)

In any event, unless you have someone disabled in your household, it only applies to places that could be accessed by a visitor (like a living room.)

See the niec site for guidance.

Build Insp's do check, as did mine.

Yes it does apply to light switches.

salem2000 said:
Build Insp's do check, as did mine.
Only when you're having planning or building permission with the drawing plan otherwise who's going to know ? ;)

it really does seem stupid, the thought of a child being able to acess a switch more easily than before worries me immensly. I am going to be doing an extension, i trust that they will be looking for the height of the sockets and switches. Just imagine how daft it would look in a house with large ceilings... I can't get over it and am tempted to put the sockets at 1500mm which looks far better

ok granted that it is for the benifit of disabled persons i agree that then should apply. Now if they are going to say that it is for the benifit of disabled people who come to my house then do i need to have a stair lift in operation and a hoist for my bath????

Are you saying then that this rule is in place for every new socket or switch fitted within your house or extension because of disabled people. Or are you saying that if you want you can put it in discretionary...

Salem 2000 i really can't see it applying soley because of disabled people.
Being physically disabled is being part of a minorty group, so is being very tall mmmm making door heights a bigger size than the standard 6ft 6" would help...... my head hurts

the hight of sockets was raised and switches lowered to enable wheelchair bound persons more choice when buying houses. Not for when they visit your house. :rolleyes:

It only applies to NEW installations.

ok no problems i am ok with all of that... but really sounds a bit daft if you ask me... plenty of executive flats where i live on 2 levels i.e. one flat above the other... no lifts in them...perhaps they should legally challenge the developer for not installing lifts... or for every new build that isn't a bungalow make it a legal requirement to install stair lifts, wheelchair ramps upto the front door and hoists over the bath just incase a person maybe buying your house 15 years from now who is disabled.... It would never happen...

I guess this is a welcome to the world of the IEE as i have noted people stating that some key features of the new regs are ludicrous

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back