Helifix Bars - Can it be used / fitted inside the house as well where cracks have appeared ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Helifix Bars - Can it be used / fitted inside the house as well where cracks have appeared ?

Can the helifix bar be fitted internally inside home as well ? All the videos / presentation show helifix bars fitted only externally and on plain brick walls.

One of the builder has told me they will install 3 helibars outside and 3 bars inside as well to make it more strong.

Regards

Sponsored Links
Why is your builder installing Helifix bars? Have they actually identified and diagnosed a genuine the problem or are they just telling you that you need them because of some minor cracking?

Sponsored Links
You need to replace the ground floor bay window with structural bay posts. Trying to "glue" the inadequately supported masonry above it together will not solve your problem.

Sorry, but what is the meaning of solid walls ? This is a victorian house. I am sure the walls has bricks..
Solid as in no cavity :) . And @cdbe is correct, if the problem has been caused by a bodged double glazing install downstairs (the original timber framing would have been very strong. If the window fitters didn't use bay poles or didn't put enough load spreaders in then that needs rectifying)

Solid as in no cavity :) . And @cdbe is correct, if the problem has been caused by a bodged double glazing install downstairs (the original timber framing would have been very strong. If the window fitters didn't use bay poles or didn't put enough load spreaders in then that needs rectifying)
Thanks... yes... walls are just bricks. I dont think there is any cavity.

Just to be clear, the crack is on the first floor bay and not on ground floor.

Whoever told you that about your house needs a word with themselves - Queen Victoria pegged it in 1901.
Yes, deffo a 'tween the wars structure, so a quarter of a century late for the old queen:

Not Really Victorian 001.jpg
Not Really Victorian 002.jpg

(posted by the OP on a previous thread)

And ta @JobAndKnock for linking that pic. OP- the upstairs bay is only supported by the posts between the windows on the downstairs bay. The window fitters not bothering with structural props in there or not packing them up properly is the usual reason for saggy or cracking bays.

And ta @JobAndKnock for linking that pic. OP- the upstairs bay is only supported by the posts between the windows on the downstairs bay. The window fitters not bothering with structural props in there or not packing them up properly is the usual reason for saggy or cracking bays.

Here is an video if that helps. Window installer was moaning about lot of work when he came for measurement. Not sure if they will listen to me. Irrespective of that i can demand some good finish / work from them.

Sorry, I am not very technical. What should I do now ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back