Hello, this is my first post here, need advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I'm about to buy a house that needs some updating. I would like to have the wall between the kitchen and dining room knocked down to make the kitchen bigger.

I don't know if this wall is load bearing or not, How do I find this out please and if it turns out that it is, is it horrendously expensive to have a steel thing put in?

Many thanks

Christina

Sponsored Links
The best method is to employ a structural engineer and they will inform you if you do need a RSJ or not, they do cost money though.

The first thing you need to know what is the wall made of, if it is hollow there is a chance that it is a stud wall and non supporting.
You can give a tap with the knuckles, but beware as some dot'n'dab walls can give this impression.
If the wall is brick/block it could well be a supporting wall.
what is directly above this wall, upstairs?

Hi Prenticeboyofderry,

It's difficult to see exactly, the bathroom wall is above but i'm not sure yet if it is directly above. I had a look at the estate agent's floorplan and it looks like it might be, but then their drawing might not be that accurate.

What I'm wondering is if it will be too expensive for me to get done. if it's going to cost me say hundreds of pounds then i will have to reconsider my plan or not go through with the purchase.

the house needs new windows, kitchen, bathroom and re-wiring too but don't want to bite off more than I can chew IFKWIM

Windows I can get done and have budgeted for, same with the kitchen fitting and bathroom. wall bashing for me is a new experience

Like I said really need to know what the wall is made of, that will give us a clue if it's a stud wall, normally timber, if you tap them they sound hollow. Great chance it's not a supporting wall, if it's brick/block etc.. a good chance it's carrying the floor above and the bathroom wall (we need to know what that is made of too).
This will also depend on the length of the wall for removal.

It's not a cheap project if we are having to install RSJ, fees for engineer could be over £500, building controls will need to be informed another £100 plus. that's before you have done any work :eek:
But what I will say if your going to do what you are considering, do everything, you'll regret it if you don't.
Some of the other work will also need Building Control involved, so when applying. apply for all the work, you will then only be charge once.

Sponsored Links
I think that both the downstairs dining room and bathroom walls are solid, I'll find out when I go back on Saturday morning.

What else will need building control PBD?

depends what tradesmen you use.
The electrics and fitting the windows, will also come under building controls.
If you use a fensa registered window fitter, they can sign that off, with out Building Controls application and if you use an electrician that is with a scheme provider, they too can also sign the work off.
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/
i'm not saying you must use the registered tradesmen, some good ones that are not registered, but saves having to apply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back