Hello

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I've just joined the forums :) I'm in need of some advice and wondered if anyone could help me out. Here goes.

I want to add another double socket to my living room. There's only one single socket at the moment, and that is on the main circuit that supplies power to upstairs and downstairs (all the power sockets, except the kitchen, are on one circuit). However, there is another circuit coming out of the consumer unit. This is a diagram I just knocked up:

--link edited--

The junction box is right below the consumer unit attached to a plinth. I was surprised to discover what the circuit was feeding, but is there any way I can add another double socket using this circuit?

Thanks

Simon

Sponsored Links
I would tap into the existing ring main (assuming it IS a ring main?)

Alternatively come out of the CU with a new cable direct to the new socket. Cable size depending on length.

what size cable and what size fuse/breaker is that cuircuit on?

also are there any spare fuse/breaker positions in the CU if so (and you can get the modules ofc) then it is probablly better to use theese?

The other circuit seems to be a radial. There isn't a return to the CU at least. And there aren't any other spare positions on the CU either.

The cable on the circuit above is all 2.5mm.

Sponsored Links
A radial circuit on 2.5 cable should only serve 50 sq m of floor area. I hope that's what you have! (i.e. a very small house?)

It should also have a 20 amp fuse/mcb.

There are no restrictions on the number of sockets on this circuit however.

I hope that's what you have! (i.e. a very small house?)

Yup, it's a shoebox of a house. 1967 throw it up open plan (well was until I partitioned it off) effort. Smallest kitchen I've ever seen.

So do I take the spur cable by wiring it into the junction box above or can I add one on by connecting to the back of single socket?

If it is a 20A radial then you can connect wherever is most convenient. But you just might want to think about how many extra sockets you need and whether you might prefer to convert this into a 32A ring. If you want to make it a ring, then you must alter it to be ring shaped starting at CU going round and coming back to CU.

Alternatively, If you really already have a proper 32A ring, then you can add sockets into that.

That's great, thanks very much for all your input. :) . It'd be a lot of work to turn that circuit into a ring, so I think I'll just leave it as a radial and come off the back of the single socket and be done with it for the time being.

That's great, cheers again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back