HELP! 2 lights 3 switches, still can't make it work!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are 2 lights upstairs on a landing. They both switch on or off at the same time; there are 2 light switches upstairs and 1 downstairs. One light has a simple wiring (blue, brown and earth). The other one has 4 blue and 4 brown wires and 2 earth. I'm guessing blue wire with a tape is a switch wire, but I also get reading on the other blue wire (one with light tape on).
How to connect all of this to a ceiling rose, so it all works? I've had some advice on it, but now with a picture included maybe finally I'll make it work. [/img]

Sponsored Links
In the main switches are wired to each other so only one pair of switch wires at the rose.

So four cables likely
1) Power in
2) Power out
3) Switch
4) Other lamp to be controlled by same switch.

The first switch likely a two way switch which connects to an intermediate switch (cross over) and final one another two way switch.

Standard diagram
two-way-plus-inter.bmp
must make some more to show multi lamps.

In the main switches are wired to each other so only one pair of switch wires at the rose.

So four cables likely
1) Power in
2) Power out
3) Switch
4) Other lamp to be controlled by same switch.

The first switch likely a two way switch which connects to an intermediate switch (cross over) and final one another two way switch.

Standard diagram
two-way-plus-inter.bmp
must make some more to show multi lamps.
Thanks a lot for your post, but I'm afraid what I need is very simple language; where to connect wires. I know switch wire connects to L, but which brown I should connect with it? Basically you need to explain it in language for an idiot.

Well, that's not true, is it?

I have said before, eric, that while your diagrams may be technically correct, they will mean absolutely nothing to the majority.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid what I need is very simple language; where to connect wires. I know switch wire connects to L, but which brown I should connect with it?
Normally, the browns are all connected together but to nothing else.

The blue with the marker is connected to the brown of the light.

The rest of the blues are all connected together and to the blue from the light.

ALL CPCs(earths) connected together and to the earth at the light if required.

[
Normally, the browns are all connected together but to nothing else.

The blue with the marker is connected to the brown of the light.

The rest of the blues are all connected together and to the blue from the light.

ALL CPCs(earths) connected together and to the earth at the light if required.[/quote]
It's exactly how I connected everything, but while one light works with all switches, the other one (one with simple wiring) stays on at all time and that's the problem I can't solve.

Oh sorry, I should have read it all.

In that case you need to find which is the cable that runs to the second light and move its brown to the same terminal as the blue with marker and brown of the first light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back