Help am I classed as front facing road with the land in front of my property ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so the purple indicates my plot of land I’m a corner plot I have erected a 6ft fence in the area that’s yellow and the blue indicates path from front door to front gate I assumed I was not classed as front facing road due to angle and land outside front gate ? Council are asking me to remove fence or go down to 1m didn’t no who was in the right here thanks

Sponsored Links
The front elevation is irrelevant, you're limited to 1m where its next to the highway, which is where your boundary stops.

Just politely decline and wait and see what the council do next, until they issue an enforcement notice i wouldn't be doing anything.

If they issue an enforcement notice then I'd reduce it to 1m and if I was set on wanting the privacy I'd put a 6ft hedge behind the fence

Unfortunately the council are in the right as your fence abuts the footway of a highway and therefore is limited to 1m high. If it was 1m back from the footway, you could have a 2m high fence.

You could apply for planning permission retrospectively for the fence as this would allow you to retain the fence you have if your application was successful.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Around here a few people have erected a 1m fence next to the highway with a 2m fence about a metre behind it. They seem to have got away with that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back