Help and advice on a DIY roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i'm just building a porch at the minute and am looking for some advice on the roof.

FirI'm planning on using redland cambrian tiles, other than that i'm not sure what to do next.

Should I fit the facias and gutter before the tiles so I know exactly where the leading edge of the tiles should be?

And tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Ian

Sponsored Links
You will need to fit the fascia board, or at least a backing timber, (if you intend fitting a plastic clad version) as the first course of tiles will need to rest upon the fascia board.

It looks as though the top lead flashing is gonna hit right where that plinth brick sticks out. :(

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to duck your head on the way out to miss the fascia/gutter :eek: It looks a bit low to me

Fit all the soffit/fascia and gutters first and it prevent a lot of messing about.

The lead should go under the brick plinth (I hope). I most probably will ask about lead, what will it be code 4?

I've cut back the roof wood now so the soffit should just touch the top of the door frame at 2.15mtrs high. Does the wood look upto the job or should I cross brace it? ts 3x2 and I was going to use 2x1 as slate lat to strengthen it all.

I wont be using ceiling joists, the ceiling will slope upwards but I may level if off somewhere higher up which could add more strength.

I didn't do the bricks myself and I wont plaster it myself but i'll try and do the rest. I got the bricks from a neighbours wall which was ideal for both of us, he had more room in his skip and I had an excellent match for the house bricks.

As Noseall says, you really need the fascia putting on before tiling. No other way really.
Work out the plumb cut then string a line through the rafters. Cut them off, screw/nail fascia board, then felt batten, tile the roof.
I assume you'll have ridge tiles for the hips??

Luck would have it Cambrians are very light weight. so even though 3x2 is a bit skinny really your get away with it. you will need 25x50 batten as your rafter centres look a bit big. I think you will find that after you have your battens and slate on you will struggle to get an upstand on your flashing.. you will hit the plinth.

your rafters dont look overly fixed to your plate.....
Also it would be good to add another jack each side of the hip.

Yes, ridge tiles for the hips.

I handn't fixed the rafters to the plate when I took the pic, i'd just fixed the 2 diagonal ones. The plate is 4x2.

There is 35mm between the 3x2's. Whats a jack?

Its all latted and felted now and i'm thinking of ridge tiles.

Do they just motar on or bolt on? Do I need certain ones to match the tiles and how wide of a gap would i need on the ridge where the tiles on the front meet the ones on the side?

Cheers.

You can use mortar or use a universal dry hip system

But you may want to use baby ridges and not the full size ones, as the normal ones can look too big on a porch

Gap where the two roof planes meet should be as small as possible

Don't forget the hip irons

Impressive looking work.

I have a roof to do, would you be interested in a working holiday?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back