Help and advise needed please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Please excuse my naivety, but I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on a boiler problem for me and give an opinion for the second issue as to whether it is normal or not?

1. The boiler (W-Bosch 19/24CBi) sometimes will refuse to re-light (if at all) for heating the DHW with no lock out light visible, yet I can hear a noise like a fan running when I come down in the morning. The demand is there, but it doesn't fire. When it does, it will only light (even from cold) for about 5 mins at the very most but more commonly 2 minutes before going off again for about 4 or 5 minutes each time. Could this be due to sludge or scale?

2. When the water has been heating correctly in the past, I could always hear the noise like water circulating in the pipes feeding the rads all around the house. Is this normal? Is it sound being carried around the system from the pump in the airing cupboard? I have never noticed it at my other previous properties.

Finally, just in case it is related, I have also noticed that with the hot water expansion tank in the loft that although it has about 4 inches of water in it, it does not fill when the float is pushed down (I have checked the feeding valve is open).

Any thoughts or opinions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jpm777

Sponsored Links
Check there is actually sufficient water in the system! I'd get the ballvalve in the F&E tank replaced first, so that will fill as required. Then, drain some water off from the heating system via a draincock, see if the level in the F&E tank drops. If it doesnt, then there is a blockage in the cold feed, and the system could currently be running with insufficient water content.

I'll have a look at that thank you. Do you think the noise with the central heating system is normal?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back