help- baxi boiler breakdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
before i start i should stress my knowlegde in this area is limited :cry:

My Baxi boiler has broken down. Basically when i switch on the hot water and/or central heating the boiler does not switch on, all you can hear is a click.

When it was working you could hear the noise of the boiler switching on.

I have looked at the instructions with the boiler and have tried starting the pilot light, which it does, then as soon as I release the on/off button (after 20sesc) the pilot out goes out, therefore i think the problems lies here. i have kept the button pressed for longer, still it goes out.

In the information it states it could be a faulty thermocouple or a defective power unit. I have replaced the thermocouple but the pilot light still goes out when i release the on/off button.

So is the faulty power unit theory correct, if so where is it located.

I would be grateful for and help and advice, i am located in leicester

Sponsored Links
Is the pilot flame playing on the t/lead as per boiler spec?

If yes then unless you have fitted a faulty lead you will need a new gas vlv.

I would advise against getting someone to bodge the valve by fitting a new power unit on it.

This is a CORGI man job! I advise against doing it yourself for a lot of reasons.

David

Soggy_weetabix said:

I would advise against getting someone to bodge the valve by fitting a new power unit on it.

This is a CORGI man job! I advise against doing it yourself for a lot of reasons.

David
the t/lead was a univesal one from b&q, but exactly the same as before.

either way looks like it will be expensive

_kid_ said:
Soggy_weetabix said:

David
the t/lead was a univesal one from b&q, but exactly the same as before.

either way looks like it will be expensive

Well, had one of those corgi 'experts' down this morning after spending time refitting the thermocouple lead (tc lead) which i already fitted correctly, he then called somewhere for advice! Then he concluded the tc lead and pilot jet should be change just in case the new tc lead was faulty (fair enough), but if this was not the problem then it is the gas valve, cost of gas valve £270+ vat + labour :mad:

So now im freezing, and don’t know where to turn, by any chance is it worth changing the pilot jet and if so how do i get to this part

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What's the boiler?
COuld be an overheat stat connected in...
Look to see, as above, if the pilot flame touches the thermocouple tip.

It's perfectly possible for an engineer to test the gas valve, and eliminate dodgy pilot, but not diy.

Sounds like an expensive gas valve! Go to http://www.partscenter.co.uk/hrpc/default.html
find your way to catalogue, enter keywords Baxi, gas, and your model and it'll come back with an rrp. He can charge whatever he likes for it of course..

Some Baxi boilers have a 'spillage stat' that can be problematic.

Soggy_weetabix said:
Some Baxi boilers have a 'spillage stat' that can be problematic.

yes the thermocouple tip does touch the pilot.
sorry i don’t know what the spillage stat is.

How should i go about this, changing every part one by one is no way of diagnoses and fault correcting. i obviously need someone to come to my home and find the fault and then then cost of work. Does anyone do this or do i have to pay £50 per time for a visit to tell me it may be a faulty thermocouple, injection jet or gas valve

Any good plumbers in Leicester? the bolier has two codes: baxi fs 501 of OR fs 501 s of

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back