Help before start tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm refitting the kitchen in our 1930s house. I've taken up the old ceramic floor tiles and found some 15mm thick red (quarry) small tiles undernear, which I've taken up also. These red tiles go under the internal and external walls I think. Underneath is a concrete floor and a small section of wooden floorboards, to red tiles.

I planned to put down self leveling compound, then the adhesive for the insullation boards, followed by the warmup underfloor heating, another layer of leveling compound, then adhesive and tiles.

I'm unsure if the red tiles forming a damp proof membrane, there wasn't a black bitchamen underneath, but a thin yellowy rubbery layer ontop of the red tiles, before the ceramics. I've been reading and have learnt that ideally I should measure the humidity in the floor, but I don't have the meter. Where can I hire this, or find someone to measure it for me in Birmingham (paying for their time obviously)?

I had considdered putting down an epoxy DPM, like stopgap 75, to be on the safe side, but I can't find anywhere to buy it, the primer 131 and f Ball's leveling compound. Any suggestions?

I really need to get on with the kitchen installation, but don't want to assume the floor will be ok without a DPM, there were no problems before, but no underfloor heating which I gather draws moisture up and could introduce a problem.

Any help/advise would be much apprechiated.

Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back