HELP- Boiler flue runs!

SMC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler vent sited 1400mm below a new extract fan opening- building control won't sign it off until there is 1500mm clearance. As per the regs. Moving the fan or flue are not options I want to take on as my walls are stone and 750 thick! He has suggested that I could extend the flue externally downwards with an elbow and an extension with another elbow at the end. The flue length will be fine for this but can you fit a flue in this way. There is nothing in the installation manual and I couldn't see anything in the corgi book. Any help appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Doh! Its a Vokera Linea 24 standard efficiency combi. Fanned flue

You cannot use flue parts designed for indoor useage for extending a flue outdoors !

Tony

Sponsored Links
Is there anything I can do? Are there any external "bolt ons" I could use?

Yes. Tell them they're incompetent dorks.
The vertical distance from another FLUE is 1500, but that's to stop ingesting flue products from the one below. Not gonna happen.

It would only have to be 200 under something like a carport roof, or 300 below an opening window :rolleyes:

Tell them to call Vokera.

Haven't got the school-leaver in short trousers, have you? In which case call him sonny and ask for someone else.

That was my argument that you can place it 300 under a window or an air brick, but he was having none of it. He has kept quoting the 1500 from a terminal- what would the definition of a terminal be?

SMC said:
That was my argument that you can place it 300 under a window or an air brick, but he was having none of it. He has kept quoting the 1500 from a terminal- what would the definition of a terminal be?

The regulations mean a boiler terminal!

I understand why he is making that mistake but its just that a mistake because he is not CORGI registered and does not understand the implications.

You might get his boss to intervene or get a letter from Vokera saysing its acceptable.

Or a CORGI registered person on site !!!

Tony

Thanks for the help guys- will try and get him to see reason again and speak to his boss if not!

aaaaaaaaaaaaah, spoke to vokera technical and they say that although they think that there shouldn't be a problem as it is a fanned flue they advise that because it is an extractor fan it could potentially pull gasses into the property and 1500 should be maintained!!

SMC said:
aaaaaaaaaaaaah, spoke to vokera technical and they say that although they think that there shouldn't be a problem as it is a fanned flue they advise that because it is an extractor fan it could potentially pull gasses into the property and 1500 should be maintained!!

hmm dont extractors pull air from inside to outside? does in my house anyway :rolleyes:

i would ignore that and show the boiler install manual to the BC guy. if its not in there what problem can he have?

It has an extract from the regs in the manual :( and it states from a 'terminal' spose it depends on the definition of a terminal. Still don't know wheter it is safe to insall a flue going vertically dow either.

SMC said:
It has an extract from the regs in the manual :( and it states from a 'terminal' spose it depends on the definition of a terminal. Still don't know wheter it is safe to insall a flue going vertically dow either.

terminal is the flue outlet....its called the terminal

what distance does it say?

I would agree with nickso and ChrisR. I would have no hesitation fitting a flue near an extractor fan as long as 300mm minimum is acheived. The only time this would not be allowed if it is discharging into a car port or covered alleyway or such like.

The manual says 1500- but from a terminal, he is taking a terminal to include an extractor fan as he says there is a possibility of the fan drawing in spent gases.... :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back