Help! Boiler is self filling? Bar pressure keeps rising?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

I hope you can help me before I have to call out a plumber to solve this problem. I have a 3 year old Combi Boiler (Baxi 80e). I notice a small leak coming from inside the boiler last week and that the pressure had risen to 3.5 Bar. The outside overflow is working and we are current draining off the excess daily. By this I mean that we release water from the filling loop (?) so the pressure falls to 2 bar. when I get home it is back up to 3 -3.5 bar. We are not using the central heating at the moment, just for hot water. The water does get hot and i wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't tidied out the cupboard where the boiler is!

The valve on the filling loop is definatly turned off, a plumber mentioned that the Heat Exchange might have a crack but I have also read about air pressure (?). We currently have 2 radiators off the system at the moment due to decorating could this be the problem???

Please advise!!!! if it something simply like refilling the air pressure ( I hope) then we will try this before handing £££ to the plumber.

Many thanks for your time

Sponsored Links
read the faq's and look at the bit about boiler pressures.

Rads70 said:
The valve on the filling loop is definatly turned off, a plumber mentioned that the Heat Exchange might have a crack

Disconnect the filling loop, if the pressure still rises you need a new plate heat exchanger

HI Thanks for the quick response, I have read the FAQ as the pressure never falls, just rises it has to be the filling loop or the heat exchange.

Can i disconnect the filling loop to see if it is by-passing?

Or should I just call a plumber as it might be the heat exchange?

Sponsored Links
Hi There

Many thanks Baxpoti, I think our posts were done at the same time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back