HELP: Cable running up both alcoves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to install wall lights at the weekend, running a spur from a socket ring to a SFCU etc etc, see my post here:

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=512414#512414

I have just removed a picture rail from around the front room to begin plastering a few of the walls, and behind the rail, in both alcoves, directly in the middle is thick grey mains cable.

What could this be?

Sponsored Links
your guess is as good as mine :eek: you say mains cable but what size is the cable in question?

You can only follow it down and see if it goes into a socket or something else.
What size is the cable? If its 1.0mm/1.5mm then it'll be to do with the lighting circuit.
More than likely though its 2.5mm and could be a spur coming down from above. As to what for I can't say exactly.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, 2.5mm Grey cable.... its not a lighting circuit. Seems strange that there are two, one running down at both sides where you would have lights. I can only see them at the picture rail level so ill follow it down tmrw and let you all know!

Its buggered up my plans for the time being as ill have to find what the hell this is before i plan to run more cables up for lights....

....it also made me realise i really need to add a cable/pipe detector in my tool box from now on ;)

UPDATE for you guys, and a big correction on my part!!! :oops:

It is lighting cable (1.5mm2). In both alcoves they run up to the ceiling. I do not know where they go after that as i cannot get access to the boards in the room above, don't want to damage the ceiling and do not have a wire detector.

However, there is no signs of a separate switch.... i think the wall lights are running on the same switch as the main ceiling light (i will check the rose for signs of this tmrw)....

Either way though, i do not want my new wall lights to run from the same switch.... i want a separate switch

I am happy to run a new spur from a socket to a SFCU then to a JB and my two wall lights like originally planned -

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=512414#512414

Would this be really wrong to do now? Given that there is already the wires in place elsewhere in the room?

These wires have really buggered up my plans :evil:

Advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Ste :eek:

Any help guys? I'm about to start my DIY haha.

I'm gonna cut the existing light feeds closer to ceiling, then go with original plan of running spur from socket to a SFCU (3amp) then to a JB to the two wall positions.

Thanks

Have a look inside the lounge light fitting, maybe they are connected straight from there. If so, disconnect to make dead is better than just cutting them back and leaving live.

SteAppo said:
Any help guys? I'm about to start my DIY haha.

I'm gonna cut the existing light feeds closer to ceiling, then go with original plan of running spur from socket to a SFCU (3amp) then to a JB to the two wall positions.

Thanks

You really do need to find out where these cables come from and then disconnect them at source and remove as much as possible.

If you cannot identify where these cables come from you cannot ensure they will never become live. So IF you must cut them and leave the rest in the wall / ceiling then terminate them in terminal blocks in a plastic box ( or use a junction box ).

I have found wall lights (with switch) wired into the backs of sockets in room above.

Hi all

Thanks a lot for the advice! I will definitely make the effort to remove those existing cables tomorrow. I bought i cable detector today and they both appear to be live. Your comments make absolute sense i just needed to hear it, and stop looking for an easy option.

I suspect they link to the ceiling rose but i had trouble disconnecting the current fitment (screw cross threaded), i will try again tomorrow when i have got more time. I will also check sockets upstairs as you suggest, nothing would surprise me in this house. If there not in either of these though, i don't know how else i can find out.

If i have to leave them is place, what is the best\safest way of 'capping' (prob wrong terminology) them off? would it be JB?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back