HELP! Combi boiler Dhw switches on the central heating??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, firstly apologies if this has been answered already, I have had a search of the forum and couldnt find an answer..

I have a Vokera 20-80 R.S. flowmatic boiler.

During the summer (now!), even tho the CH is switched off (switch is in 'summer' position), when we turn on the Dhw, the boiler seems to bring on the CH. This will obviously be very expensive to our gas bill if left much longer, and it is also very uncomfortable to have an over-warm house. For the minute, we have made-do with turning all the radiator valves right down, so that if the CH comes on the cost will at least be less.

This has been going on for a few months now. We would have paid for a repair before now, but unfortunately the boiler decided to pick up this fault the very week my company went bust and I became unemployed, hence we are flat broke and need repairs as cheaply as possible.

My wife seems to have found an amusing temporary solution. When she hears the boiler is operating, despite knowing that no-one in the house is using hot water, she slaps the side of the boiler. It shuts off!!

We called one chap last month (who is qualified to do corgi gas checks, etc, but he told me he didnt like vokera boilers and wouldnt even come and look at it - although he stated that such problems are commonly a fault of a 'three way valve'.

This week, we called another guy over. He said that he would cure the 'banging/tapping' of the radiator valves (which happens in the winter when we ARE using the central heating), plus the above mentioned problem, buy re-fitting radiator valves in the opposing flow direction, and fitting a new combi boiler, for £1600. This may or may not be a good price, but I don't have that cash handy. He told my wife that the boiler is also 'kettling'. To me, that sounds like a scaling problem? He also said that because this boiler is 10yrs old now, if we bought a new boiler we would save cash in the long run, as 'technology has moved on and boilers are now more efficient' But what would realistically be the savings (payback time) to such a claim?

Having read in the forums, and around on the internet, I have heard that this boiler is actually a decent bit of kit, and is worth saving if at all possible. Ive also read that the 'hammering' of the radiator valves might actually be caused by boiler issues rather than wrongly-installed radiator temperature valves.

Ive managed to download both the users guide and installation/service guide for the boiler from Vokera's website, and I am tempted to have a go at the problem myself. However I expect a LOT of boiler-engineer types will be saying NO WAY DONT DO IT!! at this idea. I was thinking of figuring out how to drain / clean the system (purchase chemicals), replace the 3-way valve kit, and then re-fill the system.

Is this something that a reasonably competent DIYer can do?

PLEASE ADVISE! (Thanks in advance!)

Sponsored Links
These are solidly built boilers and quite efficient and you would only save up to about 12% with a condensing boiler.

You may need an autobypass valve if your TRVs are wrongly on ALL the rads. Or take one head off so its on all the time.

DIYers can overhaul the diverter valve but if you cannot figure how to drain the boiler then perhaps its not a job for you.

Tony

Thanks for the advice, Ill try to repair rather than replace.

If I DID get a repair person to come in and replace the diverter valve, does anyone know what a reasonable price for the job would be?

Rule of thumb (well for me ) is for you to go to your local spares place find out the cost of replacement and then double it as this should then be enough to cover total cost.

Sponsored Links
We would usually aim to repair the diverter and charge about £106.

To replace the diverter would probably be about £220.

Tony

Wow - thats a LOT better than the whole "replace with a condenser boiler" approach that I had been getting from the last chap.

Now Ive just got to solve the incredibly difficult task of finding someone to competently do the job local to where I live..

You don't do call-outs to lowestoft by any chance do you?? It the most easterly town in the UK.. We have a beach.. Ill even buy you an ice-cream.

In a remote area like yours there will be only a few boiler engineers and they will mostly do boiler replacements and simple repairs. If you say you want it repaired they will probably just refuse because everyone else with a boiler of that age would opt to replace it.

There is also another problem that even if the diverter valve is repaired or replaced then the boiler is still old. There is a lot more to go wrong.

DP who is in Glasgow loves to overhaul these boilers but I dont know how much he charges as its most of a days work and parts are needed. He feels that after his work they are more reliable than a new boiler ( although they are not condensing so less efficient ).

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back