Help - cracked self levelling compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have had a minor disaster with some self levelling compound. I mixed up and poured around 25m2 of Mapei Ultraplan Eco onto my concrete floor on Sunday late afternoon. Yesterday (Monday) it was OK to walk on and I did a few minor jobs and it looked good. This morning (Tuesday) I walk in and ,crack, the whole middle of the floor cracks up under foot pressure. I have hacked out the centre to solid material (around the edges of the room) but want to ensure this does not happen again. Now it might seem obvious after the event but there is an AGA in this kitchen which I have turned off today as I'm going to skim the ceilings. I'm pretty sure this was the problem as it may have dried out to quickly. Can anyone confirm this?

Also I'm going to try to patch into the good stuff. As well as the cost, it seems pointless trying to remove the good stuff. Around 1/3 has had to come up. Any reason why I can't?

Sponsored Links
I wouldnt think you will have a problem redoing this ....an as you say the heat from the aga must of dried it too quickly

btw the max depth is 10mm ;)

I suppose you could spray it with water and put polythene sheet over the top? Don't know how long it's meant to take to cure.

If the concrete slab underneath was very dry it would have sucked water out of the screed.

Thanks for the replies. I have painted the floor with a primer which is supposed to improve adhesion. I guess it will also reduce suction. I have poured the levelling compound so we will see. I have also skimmed the ceiling (so the moisture content is higher in the room) and turned off the heating and AGA so fingers crossed it works this time.

Havn't gone over the 10mm either ;)

Sponsored Links
Will do. This morning looks fine. Tomorrow will be the test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back